8 week scan shows 6 weeks and no heartbeat, worried

ClaireC

Reaction score
I had my first scan yesterday at what should be nearly 8 weeks. The tech showed us the embryo and sac but said there wasn't a heartbeat and the size dated 6 wks 1 day. I know that at 6 weeks you don't neccesarily see a heartbeat but I'm sure I'm nearly 8 weeks (and that I can't be 6 weeks because that would mean my pregnancy tested positive after only 7 days which I believe is impossible...).

I've also had 3 separate incidences of very slight bright red bleeding (staining toilet paper but not underwear, no pain) last Thursday, Sunday and today.

From everything I've read on forums I'm feeling that a misscarriage is inevitable, and not scared to hear the truth if that's the case. If anyone has been in a similar situation, with good or bad outcome, please reply. I live abroad and have no-one to talk about this to here. Earliest OB appointment I could get is for Thursday. Thanks. :( :?

I only know what I was told at my 5wk scan with Isaac, which was that sometimes a heartbeat cannot be found, or rather, seen, on such an early scan so I was pre-warned so as not to be upset if they said they couldn't find one. They also told me that the sac being still attached and nothing 'coming away' was a sign everything was still fine.

If they told you that everything was where it should be then I think I would take that as a good sign you'll be fine, but obviously I don't know and on Thursday, which yes must seem like a decade away :hug: you'll then have more information :hug: You could have ovulated early, or very late in a previous cycle, which could explain the date, again, I'm no expert on that :hug:

I had bright red bleeding before my early scan, it was like yours, only when I wiped, and I since found its common and not necessarily a bad sign, but I only had it the one day. I can understand you're very worried, but please try and think positive, your scan showed everything was normal from what you've said, so where there's life, there's hope :hug: :hug: :hug:

Very very best wishes, I do hope Thursday is a good day for you and it comes quickly :hug: :hug: :hug:

At 6 weeks the heartbeat may not be found hun so i wouldn't worry yourself to much, although thats easier said than done.
I'm sorry i can't help you with much advice has i had a scan at 6weeks with another pregnancy but my sac was empty and they told me not to expect anything the following week.
Where as you haven't been told this, i'm sure all your questions will be answered tomorrow and i wish you all the best hun xxx

Hi,

Just wanted to post my experience and hope it helps. I had bleeding like you when I wiped and it was Bright red, went to a&e and was advised that it was nothing to worry about. At the time I thought I was 11 wks and 1day, I decided I couldnt wait to find out so paid for a private scan.

We found out at the scan I was only 6wks 5days pregnant which I still dont understand as I was testing positive at 5 days and I conceived after my period was late!! I am now 13 weeks pregnant so please dont be alarmed our bodies work in mysterious ways!!

Thank you so much for your replies. It's good to hear a positive (miraculous!) story. Pretty much everything I found on the web was negative. I'm trying to keep my spirits up and pass the time until tomorrow's app. Driving my hubby mad wanting to talk about it, he's being really supportive but doesn't think all my speculation is healthy. Today I get my routine blood tests and the scan back, although I'm sure it'll be double dutch until I see the OB. I'll let you know how it goes, though I'm sure it'll just be another wait till a second scan and repeat blood test...

Thanks again for the good wishes. These are the times when I feel far from home and miss speaking in my own language. Don't want to worry family and friends back home.

One thing I will say is this... don't scare yourself with the horror stories on the internet.

In first tri when I had bleeding (on 4 occasions), I went googling and ended up feeling worse than I did before I started looking.

You always know that there is the possibility that you have miscarried or your baby has stopped growing BUT, the chances that everything is ok and you just got your dates mixed up are more likely.

Please try to stay positive. Although some people get to see the HB at 6 weeks, not everyone does.

Keep us informed and I will certainly be thinking about you tomorrow. :hug: :hug:

This very thing happened to me the first time around.

I was taken into EPAU with bleeding and pain and I would have been 8 weeks.

When they did a scan there was nothing there but my hormone was of 200 odd HCG indicating ethier my baby wasnt growing right or I had missed a month of my life. The NHS being the NHS decided it was the latter, when I got scanned 2 weeks later I saw a heart beat and was told my baby was 6 weeks. (Calculating back they were trying to say wehad conceived when OH and me were in the process of moving house and definatley not in the mood for bding).

On my 12 week scan my babies heart had stopped and the baby measured 6+3.

I was very annoyed as I had insisted that I knew something wasnt right with my dates although noone would beleive me!

Im not at all saying you'll end up in this nightmare situation but to be honest in my case the NHS got it totally wrong from the outset.

Im praying your little bean sticks :hug:

What shape was your sac on the scan?

I miscarried last year, I paid for an early scan at 5+6, I saw a heartbeat, the sac was lovely and round. After a second bleed I went the the EPU and was given a scan at 10 weeks, the sac was a very different shape, more oval with jagged edges.

When I bled the first time, it wasn't very much, but then, much more than you have described. The second bleed was heavier and obvious something was wrong, I also got distinct period pains at the beginning of the second bleed.

Best of luck to you, I know I'd hate to be in your shoes right now. :hug:

Nicky, the sac was round and the tech showed us a very small embryo inside but said he couldn't see a heartbeat. He dated me at 6.1wks although by my calculations I was nearly 8wks.

The more I think about the test, the more annoyed I am that there wasn't anyone there to talk to about what I saw. The tech just said "you need to speak to the OB about why it's so small".

Just got my blood tests back that I did when I was 7wks by my calculation (5 days prior to the transvaginal scan) and my hcg was 25,600.

I guess it's just a waiting game to see the OB tomorrow and repeat scan and blood test to see if there's a heartbeat and if my hcgs levels have risen :?

i went for an early scan due to blood spottin at wot i though was 8 weeks but turned out i was only 6 and no heartbeat was found then the docs had to rescan me a week later all sounds ok tho im like u i worry so much but try not to its not good for u as ur so early gone try n relax
xx

Before seeing the OB I managed to translate my scan results from Spanish double dutch to English double dutch and then Google helped to understand it all :) It says: well implanted gestational sac, 5.2mm normal CRL for 6.1wks, + or - 5 days. Amniotic liquid normal. Small subhcorionic hematoma 9.7x6.3x7mm. Corpus luteum in left ovary 20mm. No heartbeat detected.

When I saw the OB he was concerned at the lack of heartbeat and said that the hematoma may have restricted blood flow and caused demise. As expected he's sending me for another scan but despite my asking him, not for more hcg tests :? Good thing is that the scan is being done by an OB this time :) so they will be able to explain the situation, good or bad, to me at the time. Bad news is the first app I could get is for next Tuesday.

Tender breasts again today after 2 days of missing symptoms is making me feel more positive and your long distance support is a great help. Thanks :)

Hi everyone,

I'm afraid things didn't work out well for me.

The scan on Tuesday showed no growth, the hematoma was bigger and the corpus luteum had disappeared. I'd already started cramping and losing blood that very day so the scan just confirmed it. When I saw my OB the next day he warned me that from the look of the scan, leaving things to take their course was likely to last weeks. I just couldn't handle that idea, so he organised a D&C for that evening. It was all very humane, in a nearby hospital with nice staff. My OB did the op himself and I was back home within 3 hours. Today I feel empty physically and mentally, but definitely think the D&C was the right choice for me. We'll try again in a few months when my body has settled down.

I wanted to thank all of you for your good wishes and to say to anyone who comes across this post looking for answers to their own personal dilemma that just because it didn't work out for me it doesn't mean that you should be pessimistic for yourself. No matter how much you research your situation you'll find differences of opinion, different statistics and different outcomes. There's plenty of situations like this that have happy endings, I hope yours does.

xxx

so sorry hun :cry:

take care, get plenty of rest and hope to see you back here soon when you're ready. Thinking of you

xxxx

So sorry for you loss hun, make sure you keep your feet up and get loadsa rest. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back