7 months doesnt feel long enough

LuckyLaura

Reaction score
Hubby and I have decided to start thinking about names already haha we feel that since it took about 3 months to pick a name for our dog we should get to it for our baby hahah

So far we have..

Girl
Jasmine/Jasmin or maybe with z
Yasmine/Yasmin
Yasleen (bit too similar to our niece)
Jaslyn

Boy
Darvesh (hubby not completely sold on this)

Aaaannnd nuthin haha

If you didn't tell we are going for sikh/Indian names as my husband is Indian but we liked how some of the girls name are familiar in the UK too and not always interpreted as foreign if that makes sense xx

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Hi I also have an Indian husband. My daughter is called Anjali (pronounced like you would say Angelie) and she always gets complimented on it. Is your husband sikh/hindu/muslim or what? as that might affect the choices. I really like the name Jyoti aswell .
My son doesnt have an indian name but I like Ash , Ajay and Zayn,. Dhillon is quite a good east-meets-west name too

Hi I also have an Indian husband. My daughter is called Anjali (pronounced like you would say Angelie) and she always gets complimented on it. Is your husband sikh/hindu/muslim or what? as that might affect the choices. I really like the name Jyoti aswell .
My son doesnt have an indian name but I like Ash , Ajay and Zayn,. Dhillon is quite a good east-meets-west name too
Thanks for replying. What a beautiful name :D my husband is sikh but if he likes he name enough he won't care what ethnicity but I'd like to stick towards the sikh side hehe I love Piali too but he just laughs and says it's means Cup in hindi hahaha xx

ha ha I said I like Chasni, my favourite at our local indian is vegatable chasni lol.

My husbands family is sikh too , his family tend to be ok with hindi names but disapprove of muslim names. (evidenced when i suggested Zayn at one time, even though thats actually hebrew) However as we became Christian some time into our marriage and thats a really big part of our life we didnt use the Singh middle name to identify our son as sikh which didnt go down to well. I'd be open to an indian name for this coming girl but really its just about finding a name we like and that has meaning for us.. havent found one yet!

Last edited:
ha ha I said I like Chasni, my favourite at our local indian is vegatable chasni lol.

My husbands family is sikh too , his family tend to be ok with hindi names but disapprove of muslim names. (evidenced when i suggested Zayn at one time, even though thats actually hebrew) However as we became Christian some time into our marriage and thats a really big part of our life we didnt use the Singh middle name to identify our son as sikh which didnt go down to well. I'd be open to an indian name for this coming girl but really its just about finding a name we like and that has meaning for us.. havent found one yet!
Oh really? Hope they've come around to the idea! I think it depends on the family too. my husbands family are really chilled and would probably think it's unusual but not really care haha they didn't care about anything else unusual we have done so far tbh. My husbands actual legal surname is Singh and so I took Kaur (obvs the gendered match) as mine. As he is sikh and I'm not religious- we will be using Singh or Kaur depending on gender as their legal surname :)

He's drawn an absolute no on "Cup" (piali) as he just calls it hahaha its hard to get a nice name that works in both cultures. Every time he suggests a name he likes that's sikh it has "deep" or something in it which I just don't like haha xx

This is a really interesting thread. I have no idea about sikh-friendly baby names so I will be stalking this thread in order to learn something new.

Jasmine and Jaslyn are beautiful, I also like the nickname Jazz. I personally would steer clear of "Y" variations, has to do with order in which names are listed alphabetically. Worth noting that I have an OCD diagnosis so don't take my alphabetical comment too seriously haha. I have an "S" name and I turned out just fine.

You guys gotten any closer to finding some more boys names?

-Sev

I think Jasmine is lovely!!

I don't know much about sikh/indian names but I hope you can both find the one you love.

Are you staying team yellow?? We are not discussing any names until gender scan, which means arguments reduced by 50% !! :D

This is a really interesting thread. I have no idea about sikh-friendly baby names so I will be stalking this thread in order to learn something new.

-Sev

Generally Sikh names are unisex and tend to have the first syllable i.e Taj, Jass, Ran, then one of -inder , -deep , -pal, or -jit on the end.....although there are exceptions. Girls get the middle name Kaur (swan princess) and boys get Singh (lion). Lots shorten to sound western like Samdeep, Sharonjit, Rubinder....which become naturally Sam, Sharon and Ruby for short. Although often a person has a family pet name which is nothing to do with their given name. A lot of times your "Mr Singh" actually has a further legal surname but just goes by Singh as a Sikh identifier.

I think Jasmine is lovely!!

I don't know much about sikh/indian names but I hope you can both find the one you love.

Are you staying team yellow?? We are not discussing any names until gender scan, which means arguments reduced by 50% !! :D
Hahaha good thinking.. We aren't actually decided yet! It would be nice but then I've also been struggling with looking at clothes as the white ones and gender neutral ones seem boring and plain... We are colour freaks and love splashes of all colours haha xx

-Sev

Generally Sikh names are unisex and tend to have the first syllable i.e Taj, Jass, Ran, then one of -inder , -deep , -pal, or -jit on the end.....although there are exceptions. Girls get the middle name Kaur (swan princess) and boys get Singh (lion). Lots shorten to sound western like Samdeep, Sharonjit, Rubinder....which become naturally Sam, Sharon and Ruby for short. Although often a person has a family pet name which is nothing to do with their given name. A lot of times your "Mr Singh" actually has a further legal surname but just goes by Singh as a Sikh identifier.

Yeah it seems to differ depending on the person haha my Mr Singh is only first name and legal surname Singh. I have my first and middle name and legal surname Kaur. All his family do it that way too :)

I like that they are unisex but they're always kinda associated with a gender in our minds. Like I know a million male "preet" s but no female so for me it would be weird girls name cuz it's always associated with guys.

The further name that they may take is usually their caste. So they'll put first name then Singh then their caste name as surname but it's not done on the legal paperwork like passports for my hubby or family-just on like Facebook names. They also don't use the caste on its own. Like Mr. Caste. Haha they'd always put Mr Singh-caste if that makes sense! I like the idea of fitting in with their tradition xx

-Sev

Yeah it seems to differ depending on the person haha my Mr Singh is only first name and legal surname Singh. I have my first and middle name and legal surname Kaur. All his family do it that way too :)

I like that they are unisex but they're always kinda associated with a gender in our minds. Like I know a million male "preet" s but no female so for me it would be weird girls name cuz it's always associated with guys.

The further name that they may take is usually their caste. So they'll put first name then Singh then their caste name as surname but it's not done on the legal paperwork like passports for my hubby or family-just on like Facebook names. They also don't use the caste on its own. Like Mr. Caste. Haha they'd always put Mr Singh-caste if that makes sense! I like the idea of fitting in with their tradition xx

That is so interesting, really goes to show how ignorant I am. Really nice to learn how different traditions take on the task of naming people.

My DH's family is Scandinavian so his great-grandfather had a last name that was "fathers name"+"son". In Iceland they still have that tradition so if your fathers name is John in you might be called Johnsdaughter/Johnsson as a last name (only in Icelandic).

-Sev

Last edited:

-Sev

That is so interesting, really goes to show how ignorant I am. Really nice to learn how different traditions take on the task of naming people.

My DH's family is Scandinavian so his great-grandfather had a last name that was "fathers name"+"son". In Iceland they still have that tradition so if your fathers name is John in you might be called Johnsdaughter/Johnsson as a last name (only in Icelandic).

-Sev
That's cool haha see now I've learnt something!!

We are no further on with names :( xx

Going to have to really get stuck in haha this baby isn't going to name itself- altho if it could that'd be really helpful xx

Awww laura must be so lovely to be thinking about names now. I just read through the thread as was interested. I am sure you will find a lovely name ! Hope your feeling a bit better x

Awww laura must be so lovely to be thinking about names now. I just read through the thread as was interested. I am sure you will find a lovely name ! Hope your feeling a bit better x
Thanks alexis haha we are still super stuck! We started off thinking about indian names that are used in the UK too and now we have no idea!

So far for girls

Jasmine
Yasmine
Jaslyn or jasleen
Violet
Rose
(realised when I was writing these there appears to be a flower theme which wasn't planned haha)

Boys

Darvesh...? Hm

Nuffin else still

Xx

Love Jasmine and Rose!

Can't say I ever heard any of the boys names before x

I love jasmine and rose you could have as a middle name, they sound lovely together if you have a girl x

Yeah we are swaying towards the Jasmine as it works in both our cultures and is a name in both languages so it works!

We have expanded on the boys names finally!!

Now for boys we have:

Darvesh
Ezra
(Maybe Ezra Darvesh)
Shaan (not keen cuz i think it sounds like a girls name but oh loves it)
Khalsa
Kaali (I love but oh hates cuz apparently its very old fashioned and he knows 859 people with that name)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back