7 days overdue. Dilated but no contractions!

Rhelen91

Reaction score
Well as the title says, I'm now onto day 7 of being overdue. Had a sweep this morning at the midwifes, she said I was 4-5cm dilated and she could feel babys head. All we need now is some contractions and it's go time, but so far nothing. A bit of backache and a few twinges but no real noticable contractions. Really need to get this show on the road, any tips?

Oh and I've tried raspberry leaf tea, pineapple, curries, warm baths, long walks, spicy foods, birth ball, wii fit, etc from around 36 weeks, nothing is working. This baby is very stubbourn!

Perhaps you have very mild contractions and a super high pain threshold? Best way is to get body as relaxed as possible, l easier said than done... But a nap in a dark room snuggling the duvet supposedly helps move things along... It'll happen though and soon - waiting sucks though!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I think my main concerns are that I had a rapid labour with my daughter, so once things get moving it's probably going to be quick. I live 20 minutes from the hospital, and I need IV antibiotics this time due to finding out I'm strep B positive, but also need time to get my little girl to her aunts house (10 minutes in the opposite direction to the hospital!) So kind of dreading everything suddenly picking up in the middle of the night and having to pull my little one out of bed in a mad dash :(

I'm thinking maybe contact aunt now? I mean 4 cm counts as active labour doesn't it? Might be worth her having a sleepover now... Hoping all is ok!!!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Just phone hospital and discuss your situation. Maybe they say you can come in next morning, pop your waters and otherwise put you on drip to get things moving with stressing them you need the ab, previous labour time and distance from hospital x

Thank you girls. My baby is here safely. We got to the hospital in time for the ABs, and after a long painful labour and 3rd degree tears my rather hefty 8.2lbs baby boy made his grand appearance.

Oh wow that was quick! Congratulations on your baby boy and hope you have a speedy recovery xx

Well done Rhelen, glad your precious boy is here safe, would you mind telling me more bout the antibiotics as I will also need them due to strep b

Absolutely. As soon as you think you are in labour ring the maternity ward you're booked in at to have your baby and let them know, remind them on the phone that you need the antibiotics and they should ask you to go straight in. When I got to the hospital they put me on a monitor to check my contractions, and once she could justify me being in labour she put the IV straight in. It took 30 minutes for the first dose of antibiotics to drain, and then another dose was issued 4 hours later. I had my waters broken after the second dose as they still hadnt gone, and baby made an appearance 2 hours after that. If you don't get enough antibiotics before your baby is born they will offer to give the baby the antibiotics through a canula and an IV, and they will monitor him/her closely for 12-24hours for any signs of infection. Hope this puts your mind at ease and good luck!

Yes thank you I asked a consultant what exactly was the procedure for strep b, she put a sticker on my notes said 'that happens' and showed me to the door...cow lol!

Not all hospitals will offer baby antibiotics. I had strep b and didn't have time for antibiotics during labour as it was only 2 hours long. My daughter was monitored for 12 hours and was well and therefore we were both discharged.

During labour you will be monitored more closely and have to give both in the doctor led unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back