6month help!

Lolly85x

Reaction score
In 9 days my little boy will be 6 months.
He's been having purée's. veg and fruit and loves his food. I always offer him some steamed veg to hold when getting his purée's.
Once he's 6 months old I'm wondering what else to introduce? I know he can get pretty much anything. But does anyone have any suggestions of good 1st 6month+ foods?
And also when I'm giving him butter, would I buy him unsalted stuff?

Can't help (but maybe when I get my book in a few days lol), but stalking!

I give Harry unsalted lurpak and low fat cheese spread! Bread is easier than toast to begin with as its softer and easier to gum, fingers of cheese are good, pitta bread, crumpets and slices of banana, apple etc! Harry likes custard and jelly too! X

Maybe go for unsalted. X

My fat fingers can't spell! x

Thanks! I'm going to do a shop at the weekend, get some supplies in :)
I'll buy the unsalted lurpack for him.
I really want to make him cauliflower cheese :) xx

you can give him anything apart from honey after 6 months.

i buy unsalted butter but i'm sure you can use normal butter if you are not using too much

here are some of the fave meals in our house that hes been having since 6 months:
spag bol
cauliflower cheese
cottage pie
home made soups and bread
scrambled eggs
yorkshire puddings
roast chicken and sweetcorn pasta
tuna pasta
fish and mash
melon

we do lots of finger foods and started from about 5.5 months;

bread sticks
rice cakes
biscotti
steamed veg
toast
sandwiches
grapes
rasins
banana

Last edited:
oh and advacado mashed with banana is a big hit too, i give it with toast for a lunch

My HV said to avoid honey, nuts, offal and shellfish until he is a year old, other than that she said its fine to pretty much give him whatever obviously bearing in mind salt and sugar levels.

XX

Everyone's suggestions are all good. Tilly loves eggy crumpets, omelette, frittata with all sorts of veg in it - anything with eggs. She's tried home made houmous and bean spread on toast or in little sandwiches, she's had roasted veg, home made potato chips, fishcakes, arancini - risotto balls, chicken and broccoli cakes, drop scones both savoury and sweetened with banana, porridge fingers, home made carrot muffins, banana muffins, meat in strips, some toad in the hole - but careful not to give processed meat very often, bread pizzas were a hit, and fusilli pasta with a little tomato puree and cheese was a recent hit. All alongside all sorts of fruit and veg. Try softening some apple or pear wedges in a little butter with a dash of cinnamon - makes it easier for them to eat and brings out the sweetness.

Buy unsalted butter. It's OK to give them a little cheese even though it's salty. Some cheeses are saltier than others so avoid them e.g. parmesan can be included in food, but maybe only once a week.

Thanks ladies there are brilliant!!!

Do you think eggy bread is suitable? I'm so excited about feeding him more?
I feel so silly about it all...

My oh is desperate to make him scrambled eggs!

It seems like it's all about balance.
I gave him a baby Heinz rice pudding today, even though it contains milk. But he loved it.

I think I will buy him unsalted lurpack and a cheese just for him!

Yeah, eggy bread is great - Tilly seems to prefer crumpets for whatever reason... She's such a little madam... will pick what she likes off her tray and ignore other stuff, so we sometimes have to give her her veggies first before putting tastier things on her tray! I haven't tried her on scrambled eggs yet because she'll just mash them up in her hands - omelette type things have worked better for us so far, although I'm sure she'll manage scrambled soon. You can add lovely things like spinach, red pepper, mushrooms, spring onions etc. to eggs.

Enjoy! It's so exciting being able to give them nearly anything. I'm giddy with it at the moment and can't wait for the next meal xx

My oh loves scrambled eggs and omelettes! We use 30 eggs a week!!!!!!!!
So I will definetly be adding some extras to omelettes.
I have added some things to the shopping this week.
Will stock up. I will do some meals I need to feed him but I will always put finger foods out for him.xxx

Eggy bread and crumpets are amazing!! Cant wait to make them for my LO! X

Why not honey? X

oh yes, eggy bread big hit here too, not tried omelettes but we add a bit of cheese to scrambled egg and he loves it :)

Everyone's suggestions are all good. Tilly loves eggy crumpets, omelette, frittata with all sorts of veg in it - anything with eggs. She's tried home made houmous and bean spread on toast or in little sandwiches, she's had roasted veg, home made potato chips, fishcakes, arancini - risotto balls, chicken and broccoli cakes, drop scones both savoury and sweetened with banana, porridge fingers, home made carrot muffins, banana muffins, meat in strips, some toad in the hole - but careful not to give processed meat very often, bread pizzas were a hit, and fusilli pasta with a little tomato puree and cheese was a recent hit. All alongside all sorts of fruit and veg. Try softening some apple or pear wedges in a little butter with a dash of cinnamon - makes it easier for them to eat and brings out the sweetness.

Buy unsalted butter. It's OK to give them a little cheese even though it's salty. Some cheeses are saltier than others so avoid them e.g. parmesan can be included in food, but maybe only once a week.

Er, shove over Tilly!!! that all sounds yummmmmo!

I'm a bit naught and have gave him some dairy a few days early! But he's 6months over due date. So no harm I hope.
Anyway last night he had cauliflower cheese purée and brocolli florets and he loved it. Had a good bash at the brocolli and today he had a crumpet and youghurt for lunch :) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back