6 weeks to go and still not sure...

Discussion in 'Baby Names' started by jenni16, Apr 4, 2016.

1. jenni16

jenni16 Well-Known Member

We've got just over 6 weeks to go until our little lady is due, and we finally got the baby name books out last night, better late than never hey!

Up until now, we'd pretty much decided that she'd be Elsie so just needed to figure out a middle name.

OH threw a spanner into the works last night when he found Mya again (a name we both liked when looking with our first). He seems pretty set on it since looking up the meaning and seeing that it relates to spring and obviously the month of May, when she is due so he says it just has to be Mya now ��

Now I like the name, but working with children I've seen so many variations of Mya, Mia, Maia etc and everyone seems to pronounce each so differently. I don't want to end up giving her a name that everyone constantly gets wrong or asks how to say it.

OH wants Mya pronounced My-ah.
    I like Myah pronounced the same way.
    I also like Maia/Maya pronounced May-ah.

We definitely don't want Mia pronounced Me-ah.

I'd be interested to see which people prefer and how you'd spell the name to make it as easy as possible to figure out the pronunciation.

Any other ideas also welcome :)
    Xxx

#1 jenni16, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  2. YorksLass

YorksLass Well-Known Member

They're both nice names... maybe use both? Elsie Mya?

3. jenni16

Why had I not thought of that?! I'll suggest that to OH tonight :) xx

4. jenni16

Just re read my post and it seems to have cut off half way through :-/ I've edited it now so it should make a bit more sense :) Xxx

5. YorksLass

I think you can get away with spelling how you like it! When I saw Mya, I thought in my head the way you are pronouncing it. Maya would be the easiest way to avoid the pronunciation doubt, I guess, because that makes me think of Maya Angelou!

6. jenni16

I'd never heard of Maya Angelou before so I googled her, today is her birthday :) she's done some lovely work too.
    Definitely leaning towards Maya over Mya, will have a chat with OH tonight :) xx

7. Phoenix85

Phoenix85 Well-Known Member

I prefer the name Mya to Elsie and would pronounce it how you want it.
    I like the spelling Maya but would be more likely to pronounce it May-ah if I saw it written down like that.

I also like the look of it spelled Myah or Maia.

8. YorksLass

What a coincidence that it would have been Maya Angelou's birthday o.o
    Maia would get across the pronunciation too - I know a Gaia who is pronounced the same (just, obviously, with a G lol)

9. Aragon

Aragon Well-Known Member

I think Mya or Myah get the pronunciation across.
    Like Phoenix says, I would wonder if Maya was pronounced May-a...

My preference is Mya Elsie.

Good luck choosing!! It's sooo hard xx

10. JJ Mum

JJ Mum Well-Known Member

I think Mya makes you have to pronounce as you want , the others could be got wrong x

11. Jojo84

Jojo84 Well-Known Member

From experience I can say that you prob won't Know fur sure until you see her. I'd wait until she came then finalise it

Personally I'm not an Elsie fan (I work in elderly care and can't get past the number of 90yd old Elsie's I known over the years)

12. jenni16

We had some names picked out with Oscar, he didn't end up with any of them and was nameless for a week lol. So I'm half expecting anything we decided to change when she's here, but I want to try and have at least a couple picked to choose from.
    The more I think I'd Elsie, the more I'm going off it, which I'm gutted about because I did love it. I think I'm just hearing it far too much lately.
    OH is winning at the minute tho with Mya, he's slowly bringing me round to the idea. He's even getting Oscar in on it too

13. Jojo84

Jojo84 Well-Known Member

We're having a baby in 3weeks and 2 days via section (unless she's here earlier) and we still haven pinned down a name. We like Anna Felicity and Jennifer Anne but that would totally change (rap with husband pushing for leia)