6 week reassurance scan

Blisa

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone else has had a 6 week reassurance scan? I wasn't meant to have one however today I had some red/brown discharge, which seems to have gone now. What should I expect from this scan? I've read so many different things on Google from ladies seeing a fetus to just the yolk sac, also some say they were able to detect the baby's heartbeat. I'm really scared :oooo:

I had a scan with my first baby at about 6 1/2 weeks due to some spotting and I saw everything, sac with a teeny tadpole and a heartbeat. It can be scary when you don't know what to expect, but often it's just the bean getting itself comfy in there and causing a bit of a bleed as it beds into your uterus. It won't hurt or anything, it's just a bit uncomfortable having a full bladder. It was definitely re-assuring seeing it that early. With my second baby I didn't get an early scan and waiting till 12 weeks was really hard....mainly because I was worried there might be more than one in there! Most of the time a little bit of spotting is totally normal.

My 6 week scans have all been internal so empty bladder. But usually they have seen a sac yolk fetal pole and heartbeat. But don't panic if the fetal pole and or hb aren't there yet as they develop in the 6th week and all at different times so could be yours is a bit earlier/less developed. Fx Hun good luck x x

Thank you ladies, trying to be more calm; my partner is doing a good job at staying positive, so im going to also. What you've all said has reassured me to no end. Thank you again, I will update once I've had it, it's booked for Tuesday morning. Good luck for your 8 week scan too! Keep us updated! X

Hi Blisa I'm having a 6 week scan on Tuesday as well! First pregnancy and ivf too so it's nervewracking. Good luck for yours hopefully it will be good for both of us! They haven't said to have a full bladder so must be internal for me.

Hi Blisa I'm having a 6 week scan on Tuesday as well! First pregnancy and ivf too so it's nervewracking. Good luck for yours hopefully it will be good for both of us! They haven't said to have a full bladder so must be internal for me.

Hi star, they've told me to come with a full bladder, which I found strange but she worked out my weeks on the phone then said I was to have a full one. Fingers crossed for you! I hope everything goes well! Let us know, how many days will you be on Tuesday? I'll be 6+3 x

I'll be 6+5. I keep reading that you may not see a heartbeat this early so at least if you don't it's not necessarily bad news. They gave the 6 week scan as part of ivf which is great. I can't imagine waiting for 12 weeks like most seem to. The waiting is tough enough for 6 weeks!

Sometimes they try external then tell you to pee. On my 7 week they said come full bladder I was like whaa? The nurse came and said oh we will do an internal do you mind emptying your bladder I was like OK... got to the room the sonographer said so you have a full bladder right? :doh:

Good luck girls x x x

Last edited:
I had an early scan with my first pregnancy, I was supposed to be 6+2 ish. I was told full bladder but then when there was told needed empty bladder for internal. I had had a bit of bleeding a couple of days prior to the scan but nothing after. They didn't really see anything and a couple of days later I really bled and had a mc.

This pregnancy I also had an early scan due to recurrent mc. I had it at 7+3 but was measuring behind at 6+5. Saw everything we were supposed to this time including a heartbeat. This one they did an external scan first (the lady said she liked to get an idea of where the pregnancy was first) then did an internal for all the measurements. I didn't have a full bladder as I was expecting an internal so was surprised she could see so well on the initial external.

LOL Eryinera, I hope you saw the funny side, that would tickle me I have to say! I think I'm gonna phone on Monday and double check about the bladder thing.

Lol yea ironic thing is because of my tilted uterus lying on my bladder when she did the internal she told he my bladder was full and she was watching it fill up I was like we'll I've just been.... lol but apparently I've lost the ability to tell when my bladder is full lol.

Aww, I'm really hoping to see everything, but I won't totally panic if i don't, I'll wait till I'm 8 weeks and pay for a private scan, that's if they don't offer it first. I'm relaxing as much as I can, boobs are really sore today, and getting comfortable at night is already difficult haha! Just invested in tummy hugger pants and some new comfy pjs 😂😁 x

I had one at 6 weeks because of bleeding but I must of been earlier as there was only the gest sac. had to wait 10 days and go back and then I saw a little bean measuring 7 weeks x

I'm getting one next Monday when I'll be 6 weeks exactly according to when my last period was, however I think I ovulated late which would mean I wasn't quite 6 weeks yet. I'm trying to tell myself it's completely normal if I don't see the heartbeat yet although when it actually comes to it I know I will panic and be worried sick :( x

I had an early scan at 6w1d I saw a tiny heart beat and what just looked like a blob. They did an external first then asked me to go and empty my bladder then did an internal xx good luck xx

had my scan this morning, saw a sack and nothing else, they think I'm earlier than what's been worked out. Bit worried but have to go back in 2 weeks for another! Fingers crossed everything is OK x

Fx hun x it's common at this stage though they are looking for something so tiny even a fill bowel can hide it

Last edited:
Hi Blisa,

i had an early scan which i should have been 6 weeks, it was an internal and all they could see was the sac, was told to go back in 2 weeks i did and everything had trippled in size and they could see a heartbeat, from my dates i should have been 8 weeks on my second scan but the lady said looked more like 6/7 weeks, i have to go back for another in 2 weeks time.

both scans where internal as they can see more than an external one - they are not uncomfortable

fingers crossed for you

Thank you so much ladies, I'm really hopeful that I'm just too early to see little bean yet. Had an internal scan as my appointment was at 9.20am but they left me waiting with a full bladder for half a hour! So was very much doing the 'need to pee' jig when they took me in haha! I'm going to stay positive about everything. Hope everyone else is okay! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back