6 month weaning

Tanya4beauty

Reaction score
Ok so we started weaning about 3 1/2 weeks ago and so far it's going we'll. Mia has had loads of different fruit and veg. She has breakfast and tea at the moment but I'm unsure of when to start on lunch. So far the day goes a little like this:-

8am 5oz bottle (always offer 7 and sometimes she takes more than 5)
9am breakfast
Midday 7 oz bottle
4pm 5-7oz bottle
5pm tea
6.40pm bedtime bottle 5-7oz
10pm dreamfeed 4-5oz.

Any ideas of how/ where to introduce lunch and also would I drop a bottle or carry on offering it first. For instance would I give her the 12 bottle then offer her food and then see what happens? Hv suggested dropping her 4pm bottle but it seems like a long time to go from 12 ish bottle and lunch to her tea at 5.
Also what can I start giving her from 6 months? Can I just blitz our dinners (being careful of salt which we don't add anyway). I saw another thread about crumpets and things like that. Can I just offer her those to chew on? Bit scared of giving her things like that when so far she's only had purée.

Sorry for all the questions!!

Last edited:
I'm weaning my 6 month old. He has 3 small meals a day and we havnt dropped any bottles yet, although some days he doesn't want a dinner bottle. Wish it was the 3am one he would drop. I do pretty much what you do, but 45mins to an hour after milk I offer food.

Crumpets were a huge hit with my little boy, with unsalted butter.
He has had toast or bread and phillidelphia, he loves that.

I have been giving him out dinners, just blended like you say. But I it's something not suitable I just boiled him up some veg, and make a cheese sauce. He loves cauliflower cheese.

We usually have some cereal for breakfast. Porridge or Wheetabix.
Then lunch fruit purée, or bread an phili. Crumpet.

And dinner just whatever. Tonight for example he's having chicken, potatoes an turnip.

Next week I am going to make him some chicken rice soup (iv got baby stock cubes)

I also have baby pasta, can buy sauces or make your own, it says suitable from 7 months due to lumps, but I don't see why that can't be puréed?

I am going to try him on mince and tatties, cottage pie. Omelettes. Eggy bread. Scrambled eggs.

Brocolli, carrot batons, melon strips, anything that's a good shape to hold can be a finger food.xxx

Ok so we started weaning about 3 1/2 weeks ago and so far it's going we'll. Mia has had loads of different fruit and veg. She has breakfast and tea at the moment but I'm unsure of when to start on lunch. So far the day goes a little like this:-

8am 5oz bottle (always offer 7 and sometimes she takes more than 5)
9am breakfast
Midday 7 oz bottle
4pm 5-7oz bottle
5pm tea
6.40pm bedtime bottle 5-7oz
10pm dreamfeed 4-5oz.

Any ideas of how/ where to introduce lunch and also would I drop a bottle or carry on offering it first. For instance would I give her the 12 bottle then offer her food and then see what happens? Hv suggested dropping her 4pm bottle but it seems like a long time to go from 12 ish bottle and lunch to her tea at 5.
Also what can I start giving her from 6 months? Can I just blitz our dinners (being careful of salt which we don't add anyway). I saw another thread about crumpets and things like that. Can I just offer her those to chew on? Bit scared of giving her things like that when so far she's only had purée.

Sorry for all the questions!!

Do you offer anything between 9am and 12pm and between 12pm and 4pm? Babies tummies are tiny (generally the size of their fist) so you could offer some bits between these two times? If you want to introduce lunch you could do it maybe at 1pm?

Good finger foods:
Watermelon
Oranges
Steamed vegetables like broccoli florets, courgette, aubergine, carrot
Strips of red/orange/yellow peppers
Cucumber sticks
Apple
Banana
Strips if toast with peanut butter (but not if there's a history of nut allergies), Philadelphia or unsalted butter
Bread sticks with hummus
Pancakes

Literally anything!
If you eat meat you could do strips of chicken, beef, lamb, pork etc

You don't have to purée the foods btw.just give it as is!

Oh and I'd be inclined to wait to drop the bottle until you've settled into a routine with meals and snacks x

Thanks for the replies! At the moment I don't offer anything between as I'm a little worried about filling her up too much so she doesn't want her milk. She's not 6 months yet so obviously her milk is more important and also she sleep around an hour from 10.30 and then again for about 2 hours from 1.30 so there's not a lot of time to offer snacks too! If I did it would be a bit too close to bottle time but I'm sure as she gets older and sleeps a little less we will be able to fit a bit more in! I'd quite like to offer so finger foods after her meals as a dessert option. Yesterday I put banana in one of those holders things they can suck on and she loved it. If she dropped it she cried! She so loves her food now! Can't wait to start on proper meals instead of just fruit and veg! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back