5 week old - mega wind problems. Any tips?

Sharcaz

Reaction score
Hey ladies :)

My little boy's 5 weeks old, breastfed, and struggled terribly with wind.

I burp him after feeds...he didn't used to burp but after using infacol and now gripe water he does a good burp most the time. Problem is he is constantly straining and grunting in pain until he does a few mega trumps then settles. We have to bring his knees up to his tummy to help him and he literally trumps on demand using this method. The amount of gas that comes out is insane...I don't know where he's hiding it!!

We have an appointment to assess for possible tongue tie next week (self referral) as he's clicking while feeding and seems to lose the latch on every suck inside his mouth. the seal around his lips doesn't break but I can hear him gulping air and can feel it going down his back as he feeds..it's heart breaking as I know it'll cause him so much discomfort :( I hope it is a tongue tie so it can be fixed.

Any tips or advice on how I can calm him, help get rid of wind or prevent it would be fab! xxx

My baby had tongue tie I went private at 7 weeks. She also suffers awful wind. I know it's hard try to take baby of after a few minutes so wind then feed x

My baby had tongue tie I went private at 7 weeks. She also suffers awful wind. I know it's hard try to take baby of after a few minutes so wind then feed x

Did you get the tongue tie fixed and did it help at all :) I'll try that trick thank you :) xx

It helped her feed and made it less painful for me. It helped abit with the wind as she was able to get a better latch but ahe still has trouble with it. I just buy gripe water. It helped her stick her tongue out more aswell.

Oh brilliant :) I really hope that it is a tongue tie just so that something can be done and make it easier for him! Thanks for the tips hun :) xx

My lo had really bad wind/colic. We found ' tiger in the tree hold' best to get rid of wind and calm her, google it x some people have luck with colief or infacol but neither helped us x

Agree tiger in tree method is helpful. Have you tried taking him to baby massage?

My lo had really bad wind/colic. We found ' tiger in the tree hold' best to get rid of wind and calm her, google it x some people have luck with colief or infacol but neither helped us x

Thanks rachaell! Just looked it up so gonna give that a go :) how long do you do it for...the video I just saw said 15-20 seconds :/ doesn't seem long enough to do anything :) yeah we've swapped from infacol to gripe water and can't say its making a noticeable difference xx

I found what I ate really impacted both girls' wind. Gassy veg, garlic and fizzy drinks gave them awful windy spells. Once I stopped they were like different babies. Once their stomachs matured at around 12 weeks, what I ate had less and less of an impact.

My partner used to do the tiger in the tree hold too and also lifted our daughter slowly up and down, which randomly seemed to help release farts. Baby massage helped, there's some vids on it on babycentre, one of which is specifically for digestion. I did toes to nose position too, which still helps her now lol - get some really powerful trumps out that way. I was often surprised she didn't go flying around the room like a deflating balloon, the amount of wind there seemed to be! I think it's one of those things you have to just wait to pass though, until their little systems figure out how to work properly - which they do in the end! :)

Must add, at first, the massage didn't go down well with her at all and she would just cry all the way through it! She soon got into it though, after just a few tries, and then loved it - it became part of her bedtime routine, so persistence is key! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back