4mg-5mg Folic Acid question

Sparklegirl

Reaction score
I have been taking 4mg of folic acid (the seven seas trying for a baby ones with iron and Vit D) for at least 18 months now and thanks to a thread on here I discovered that a high BMI requires 5mg tablets.

While I was at the doctors today I mentioned it and she gave me a prescription for the 5mg. I know its best to be taking it for approx 3 months before conception so I am wondering will all that time I was taking the 4mg for still count?

Knowing I need a higher dose has me concerned that if I get pregnant this cycle, it wont be as effective as if I had been taking the 5mg for the last 3 months. Am I being ridiculous? I hope so

In a lovely way, you are a little bit :lol: Kiddin on! Just think hun, there's people who don't find out they're pregnant until 6 months gone and not only don't take FA but drink smoke party etc. I'm sure the 4mg will definitely still count and being slightly under dose won't be a problem xx

Last edited:
In a lovely way, you are a little bit :lol: Kiddin on! Just think hun, there's people who don't find out they're pregnant until 6 months gone and not only don't take FA but drink smoke party etc. I'm sure the 4mg will definitely still count and being slightly under dose won't be a problem xx

Thank you :lol: I am happy being a little bit silly rather than putting prospective baby at risk because I didnt know earlier. Glad I found this forum so I can get some good advice form people who have been through all this before xx

My doctor told me that because ive already been taking the 4mg folic acid regularly that I wont need to go on the higher dose ( my bmi is just over 30 ) she said its not nessesary as the folic acid has had a chance to build up in my system already, so I think you should be alright :)

My doctor told me that because ive already been taking the 4mg folic acid regularly that I wont need to go on the higher dose ( my bmi is just over 30 ) she said its not nessesary as the folic acid has had a chance to build up in my system already, so I think you should be alright :)

Fab, wish my BMI was 30 lol but I am relieved to hear that x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back