4mg-5mg Folic Acid question

Discussion in 'Trying to Conceive' started by Sparklegirl, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Sparklegirl

Sparklegirl Well-Known Member

I have been taking 4mg of folic acid (the seven seas trying for a baby ones with iron and Vit D) for at least 18 months now and thanks to a thread on here I discovered that a high BMI requires 5mg tablets.

While I was at the doctors today I mentioned it and she gave me a prescription for the 5mg. I know its best to be taking it for approx 3 months before conception so I am wondering will all that time I was taking the 4mg for still count?

Knowing I need a higher dose has me concerned that if I get pregnant this cycle, it wont be as effective as if I had been taking the 5mg for the last 3 months. Am I being ridiculous? I hope so

2. MrsS15

MrsS15 Well-Known Member

In a lovely way, you are a little bit :lol: Kiddin on! Just think hun, there's people who don't find out they're pregnant until 6 months gone and not only don't take FA but drink smoke party etc. I'm sure the 4mg will definitely still count and being slightly under dose won't be a problem xx

#2 MrsS15, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  3. Sparklegirl

Thank you :lol: I am happy being a little bit silly rather than putting prospective baby at risk because I didnt know earlier. Glad I found this forum so I can get some good advice form people who have been through all this before xx

4. DonnaMarie1

DonnaMarie1 Well-Known Member

My doctor told me that because ive already been taking the 4mg folic acid regularly that I wont need to go on the higher dose ( my bmi is just over 30 ) she said its not nessesary as the folic acid has had a chance to build up in my system already, so I think you should be alright :)

5. Sparklegirl

Fab, wish my BMI was 30 lol but I am relieved to hear that x