4D scan at 31/32 weeks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Chat' started by kittykitchn, Mar 1, 2016.

1. kittykitchn

kittykitchn Well-Known Member

I really want to book a 4D scan for our wedding anniversary which is the end of this month. I'll be 31/32 weeks at that point which is the cut off point for 4D scans. The cost is a big issue for us, and obviously want as good pictures as possible - do you think I should go in earlier, or save it for our anniversary and maybe not have as good a look at baby?

2. Lander

Lander Well-Known Member

Bro and SiL went twice, first time she had her face cushioned in the placenta, second time she had a hand over her face :shock:

3. kittykitchn

Mmmm.... the scanning place have recommended coming in earlier, so I can have a rescan later on if she's not playing ball. And going by previous scans, she won't be playing ball!

4. kanga86

kanga86 Well-Known Member

We had one at 29+4 and one at 30+1 with the boys and they were both really clear and didn't need to return for scanning. Going for about 29+4 again this time too. It could be an early anniversary present? Ours is going to be a late one as anniversary is 5th March and booking for around 14th March xx
    Edit to add pic:
    [​IMG]

5. Lander

Lander Well-Known Member

Love how alike they look even before birth Kanga :)

Lxx

6. kanga86

kanga86 Well-Known Member

I know Lander I was so surprised to see how similar they were. I'm sure this boy will look like his brothers too. The boys aren't so similar now though xx
    [​IMG]

7. Blueclass

Blueclass Well-Known Member

On the June thread iv put up a link to a clinic in london which are having a sale. You can get a good deal for a 4d scan. Iv just booked mine but only having one coz of my car accident I need to see her and make sure she ok. It is in London tho but I have read you do go London so maybe you and hubby could make a day of it? This company says up to 32 weeks and il be going at 30. X

8. kittykitchn

Funny that it's cheaper literally everywhere else in the country. Husband wouldn't bother going elsewhere, he doesn't even want it done locally (to be fair, he only gets Sundays off) xxx

9. Blueclass

OK that's fair enough. I live 9 miles from London and I hate going to London! Can't stand the crowds ect. I'm only going there as it's on offer so alot cheaper than everywhere else. I was going to use babybond who I used for my previous scan but they are £119. As I'm on a budget and only having it done due to monday I hunted for the best deal. It's a shame they are so expensive. Xx

10. kittykitchn

That's literally the only local company to us, sucks being stuck down here! £119 is an awful lot for 20 minutes - worth it though, in my opinion, it's our first and a one time opportunity I think xx

11. Blueclass

It is worth it your right and it will be a really amazing experience x

12. kittykitchn

Well I asked him again this evening, he says I can do what I want but doesn't think it's worth it. He can see her and feel her now, she's just covered by skin, and he'll be seeing her every day in a few months. They're just another species entirely, aren't they?

13. Blueclass

Lol yes they are. I'm only having mine because of monday or I wouldn't of bothered but that was my choice and only thing my OH said was can that money be spent on other things? Luckily I got a good deal so I'm not to bothered about the money now plus I want to see her before she arrives. I'm sure once he sees her on the screen he will be besotted x

14. Phoenix85

Phoenix85 Well-Known Member

Well for what it's worth, 3D & 4D scans are not recommended as they are not believed to be completely safe.
    (No scans are actually, but it's believed to be worse for 3D & 4D and of course these are purely to see the baby, not to check for any problems so the risk/benefit comparison doesn't apply).

Maybe look into it a bit more before you decide whether it is worth it? x

15. babyslog

babyslog Well-Known Member

Id defo have it Kitty.
    Loved mine! Really gutted I never had one with my 1st little boy now. I'm sure ur DH will secretly love it too when he sees her on the screen.

Luxkly didnt have to be re scanned for mine, but my brother & SIL due a week before me went back 3 times! They dnt normally ask more than twice but she had placenta in the way and then hand on the second scan. It was a free scan due to them buying a pram from their shop so they allowed a third attempt and thankfully she played ball.

Just drink loads of water than normal a few days leading up to scan as thats spose to help clear the fluid. Then 30/45mins before scan have a choc bar or juice and ahe should be as active as ever :) also if ahes more active at a particular time try and book around that too x

16. Blueclass

I'm not sure I believe there unsafe as the nhs offer 3d scan for a fee. In fact my hospital showed me our baby in 3d at my 20 week scan. I don't think they would offer something that is unsafe.

#16 Blueclass, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  17. Phoenix85

AIMS have released a statement on it if you are interested x

http://www.aims.org.uk/Journal/Vol16No4/ultrasound.htm

And this is one large scale study in the Lancet http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PII0140-6736%2893%2991944-H/abstract

I'm really not meaning to upset anyone, but it's frustrating women are not aware of the controvery surrounding ultrasound and the element of risk.
    Please remember ultrasound has only routinely been used on pregnant women within the last 35 years and at a much lower frequency/dosage than machines used today.

#17 Phoenix85, Mar 6, 2016
  18. RobsLouise

RobsLouise Well-Known Member

Both of those articles are really out of date and can't really be used as evidence that ultrasound is unsafe in pregnancy.

19. Phoenix85

Um, they are old but the science is still valid!

More so now as it is known that the newer ultrasound scanners use a much higher dosage than older ones and the new 3D and 4D machines are even 'worse'.

There are LOTS of articles on it if you care to google, some new, some old(er).

There is still controversy over the safety especially of prolonged 3D & 4D scans.

I don't expect you to take my word for it though, feel free to do your own research, read newer articles and newer studies if that's what you want. But don't brush it off because the evidence has been around for over 10 years :shock:

This article is from 2011... is that recent enough? http://chriskresser.com/natural-childbirth-iib-ultrasound-not-as-safe-as-commonly-thought/

#19 Phoenix85, Mar 6, 2016
  20. RobsLouise

RobsLouise Well-Known Member

To be honest I'm not interested in a debate about the safety of ultrasounds but I do think the age of so called evidence is important. The studies cited are small and actually inconclusive.
    In any case, the OP was not asking for safety advice on scans x