4 week old with a cold...any helpful advice please.

Ragna

Reaction score
Aidan has a rotton cold with a nasty cough. Ive been to Doctors with him and he was thoroughly checked. He has no temperature or throat or chest infections. We visited the Chemist to find something that will help his congestion but can not use anything because of his age. (not even karvol until they are 3 months)

Has anyone got any useful advice to make him more comfortable? Ive raised his bed and steamed the room and going to vaseline his nose so it dosnt get too sore.

Breaks my heart to see him looking so sad and crying with his bottom lip quivering.

Thank you.
Ragna xxxxxxxxx

I look after kids at work, and one mom had a kind of sucky thing to suck the snot right out of her baby's nose!

It was like a pipette thing.... similar to what you use to get infacol out of the bottle only bigger.
She did it in front of us (!) and it looked GROSS but it worked and got a load of snot out of her nose YUK.

Steaming the room like you've done is also a great idea... I use wet towels over the radiator.

EDIT: She said she got the nose pipette thing from Boots.

braydon had a cold like this at 4 weeks and my gp sed to put sum olibus oil on a tissue in his room like on a window cill?? and also to give him a tiny bit of calpol 1 mg i gave braydon but dont give him to much hope this helps????

Thank you both of you.

I read about that little sucker thing Urchin, the health visitor can give you saline that you put up there and then suck the mucus out. If he gets any worse I might give her a ring (actually have a health visitor that is approachable and lovely !!)

Will also try the Olbus Oil thing. (thank you)

Read that Breastfed babies get milder colds so hoping this is so with Aidan.

Know hes thriving because I had him weighed few days ago and hes now 12lb 4oz !!!

Ragna xxxxxxxxxxxxx

i cant believe his 4 weeks old wen that happen all the babys r getting to big

Hi Ragna

Maddie had a cold at 2 weeks - it was heartbreaking. My doctor told me to take a couple of Paracetamol so Maddie would get some through my breast milk.

Hope Aiden is better soon

LBxx

PS - 12lb - crikey - your milk must be gold top!!

littlebump said:
Hi Ragna

My doctor told me to take a couple of Paracetamol so Maddie would get some through my breast milk.

WOW I'd have never thought of that what a good idea!

Thomas has got that too, his nose is totally clogged up and he chokes on his food or even on his saliva, poor lad!!!! He is so small and so much in pain!!! The saline solution works well though although not appreciated by Thomas!!! I am seeing the GP this afternoon, she might tell me it is nothing but I am worried when he can hardly breathe and cannot feed because of that!!!
Will post again if the GP told me anything new.

Just wanted to update you all on Aidan.

Decided last night to take him back to the Doctors and he said that he had a mild case of Broncitus (cant spell it) and because of his weight and size he prescribed Calpol (2.5ml 3 times a day). Also said that the Karvol Capsols are fine and that the only reason he can think that the manufacturors say from 3 months is because of it touching their skin and it being an irritant.

Hes obviously still not well and its dreadful when he coughs but hes not any worse either. With the Calpol hes been sleeping a lot which is the best thing for him.

Thanks again for everyones advice and help xxx

Ragna said:
Just wanted to update you all on Aidan.

Decided last night to take him back to the Doctors and he said that he had a mild case of Broncitus (cant spell it)

Thats the 4th case I've heard of in the last month!!

Hope he's better really soon!

Hi Ragna. Phoebe has a rotten cold too!!
I rang the Health Visitor and she said to get Calpol Drops that you put on an old cloth or something and lay it next to them. OH went to Tesco and Boots but they don't sell it so he spoke to the pharmasist who told him Carvol is fine to use but spread it over a larger surface area of the cloth and don't put it right under their nose xxx
That's what we're doing now and Phoebe seems better today. Won't sleep at all at night though since she's had it. Me and OH have to take turns with her laying on our bellies!!

Emma had a cold at 12days old. I called the doctor, and he told me to use saline drops . they do wrk , and at 5wks she got a chest infection.
Hope ur little 1 gets well soon .x

Thank you again for your replies.

Have ended up at Milton Keynes Childrens department tonight after taking him back to the Doctors cos his breathing was very fast. They have confirmed that he has every single symptom of Bronchiolitis. As its very common especially at this time of year and there are lots of you out there with new babies. Here are the symptoms that we were given in a really good leaflet about it.

Baby may be snuffly and seems to have a cold
Baby usually has a cough and may sound wheezy and or be breathing fast (60 breaths a min plus)
Baby may be miserable and unsettled
Baby may be reluctant to feed or take less feed than normal
Baby may vomit some of its feed and the vomit may appear slimy
Baby may have loose slimy green motions (aidans are frothy!)

They checked him thoroughly and his sats (oxygen level) were very good, and hes still feeding although not as much, and he was generally alert we were sent home but have 24 hour instant access to the childrens ward if we need it. (was very impressed with the staff and the way its set out) But hopefully he will be on the mend.

Ragna xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I hope Aiden gets better very soon, it must be horrible seeing him ill. Sending him (and you) a big hug xxx

Hope he gets better soon ragna. sending him big hugs(((((((())))))))

Steph

Am sooo glad to have found this post. Hope all is well with you now? My little man was taken to hospital on the 3rd and they diagnosed an ear and chest infection. Gave him antibiotics which then meant he also had diarrhea. Took him back to docs on Friday as no improvement and this doctor said stop the antibiotics they are doing no good, and gave him a little inhalor thing as well as steriod tablets to relax his airways (basically very wheezy breathing with cold symptoms and lack of appetite). Still no improvement today so back to the doctors in one hour, I might suggest that it could be broncitis as I am starting to lose my rag with the GP's now. I know its hard to diagnose a baby but he is in so much distress and its making me very upset. I want my baby well again! We have digressed back 2 months we were in such a good sleep/feed pattern and now he's back in our room (usually our bed) and only taken 2oz milk so far today boo hoo.
Sorry for ranting on but these bubs are such a worry aren't they bless them? I just want him to be better its heartbreaking.

Poor little man

Certainly sounds like it. Take him back and keep doing so every day if you are worried (I did)

Hope he gets better

Aidan is now on Day 6 of being poorly and much much better. Apparently it peaks at 5 days. He has regained his Appeitite and is more alert and not so whiney. Still has the dreadful cough where he cant get his breath but gradually those arent happening so often.

Hope you get on ok, Let us know
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Great news that Aiden is getting better Ragna. Over themmon, hope your little man is on the mend soon too xx

Well took him back to the docs yesterday. He said that even tho he'd only had a couple of ounces of milk ALL DAY it was nothing to worry about as long as he is still wee-ing ok (i.e. as long as he is not dehydrated). Turns out he is being treated for his airways going into a spasm, apparently quite common. The puffer thing helps him breathe and the steroid tablets (yep steroids, sad huh) are helping to relax the airways. I have to take him back in a few days so that they can assess the improvement he has made. They think it might be a mild form of asthma. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I really really really hope not. Anyway when his daddy got in from work last night he managed to take 6oz milk (magic daddy) and his appetite is coming back today, he has gone back to his four hourly 7-8oz feeds so I might get a proper nights sleep tonight yipppppeeeeeeeeeeee
Hope your lil bub is still on the mend xxx

Great news he is taking his feeds again. As soon as Aidan started feeding like mad again I knew he was on the mend.

So horrible when they get so poorly so young

Ragna xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back