4 week old and dummy's

queenriccy

Reaction score
Hi ladies

Hope everyone is so excited after the birth of the royal baby !

Its just a quick on really - we gave Olly a dummy at 2weeks because it was settling him. He likes it after a feed and then tends to drop off and spits it out and we gave him it on a night before bed to get him settles .. Last few days he is tending to spit it out but then winge for it. Is it because they can't keep them in ? I'm confused !

Xx

Yeah normally because they cant keep them in.......we had to try the cherry teat dummy because it was easier to keep in!!

they can keep them in if they want to it's not that, im not exactly sure y tho, I've actually just weanin my lo off a dummy at 16 weeks cos she started doing this CONSTANTLY! she went from sleeping through the night to waking up to 20times a night just cos the dummy fell out, I googled it looking for explanations/advice and all I could find was parents saying this was a common thing, some babies spit them out before there properly settled and them scream cos try want it back. The only advice online I could find was either put up with it untill try are old enough to put the dummy back in themselves or wean them off the dummy, I was worried about what lo's reaction would be but were 5days dummy free today and last night she slept through the night again. I realise I've rambled a bit sorry! hope that helps a little tho!

I weaned my wee man off his at around 8 weeks for the same reasons as Kat. my reasoning was that a kiddie waking as often as O was for a dummy can't be having a decent sleep. He sleeps so much better since. I had been told to try different teats but by that stage I just wanted it gone. I hope the wee cherry teats work for you. xxx

Thanks girls. I might try taking them off him now, he hasn't bothered with it this morning at all. It's just when he decides he wants it, it's like NOW ... Not in 2mins lol

Xxx

I only let JJ have one during the day if he cries for it - he sucks for a few mins to settle and then just spits it out. I don't give it to him at night at all and he never cries for it.

He had trouble keeping the orthopaedic shaped dummy in - and prefers the cherry end style :) xx

Some kids go through a wee phase of this, it's a developmental thing! But some genuinely cant keep them in - especially those stupid orthodontic ones!!!

Some kids go through a wee phase of this, it's a developmental thing! But some genuinely cant keep them in - especially those stupid orthodontic ones!!!

They were the 1s I had & I spent 8 weeks getting hacked off by them, which was a big contributing factor to deciding not to try another type. I was afraid it would be the same thing. :)

My son has a cherry one and seems to keep it in better. He will spit it out after so long once he's settled to sleep. He doesn't really cry for it at night. The problem I have is he pulls the bloody thing out by the handle then can't work out how to get it back in his mouth. Or one nap time he broke free from his swaddle, pulled the dummy out and threw it across the room while grinning away to himself, as if to say 'I declare nap time over mummy!'

My LO doesn't have a dummy anymore, but he wouldn't go near an orthodontic one, he always got on much better with the cherry shaped ones. Luckily, he self-weaned at 6 months, refused a dummy and hasn't had one since, so I don't have to go through having to get up to put it back in or taking it off him xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back