3rd labour?

GBLiz

Reaction score
Lots of people ask if 2nd labour is easier- mine wasnt- is 3rd easier or completely variable?

Midwife helpfully mentioned you get more false alarms with 3rd labour.....i hope not as i had prodromal labour with my last one (going through contraction pains that go nowhere each night) for the last month of it!)

Mind you i had 8 years between my first 2 labours and it will only be 18 months between my 2nd and 3rd

anyone got any anecdotes about 3rd labour?

oooh watching this!
my second was so much easier, aside from some awful interference from the horrid midwife I pushed him out no problems so i'm praying this time will be the same!

have just been scaring myself by googling it and things like "You think you know how you labour but your 3rd is a wildcard.." etc....and apparantly the afterpains are as bad as contractions!!!! :'(

have just been scaring myself by googling it and things like "You think you know how you labour but your 3rd is a wildcard.." etc....and apparantly the afterpains are as bad as contractions!!!! :'(

Noooooo! Hahaha! One of my friends has had four kids, she said the pains are worse each time... maybe it's just because we forget the pain though? Thinking back on it I forget the pain but I do remember asking everyone if I was dying and if I wasn't could they just put me out of my misery! :rotfl:

I just had my 3rd in december. It hurt just as much as the 1st & 2nd labour. I knew what was to come so i tried to prepare myself for the horrific pain i knew would come. Had a nice panic attack after i got examined and the pain became unbearable. The only difference between my labour was it was 1 hour quicker. Just over 11hours total. Never again!!

yeah, i said never again after the first....and the second.....!!

I've had two fairly similar labours (apart from much more pain in contractions in the 2nd, i was throwing up with pain through much of it ) so i'm getting a bit scared about this 'wildcard' theory about 3rd labours. My first was about 5 hours with 15 mins pushing, my 2nd about 6/7 hours (more stop/start) then 5 minutes pushing, so I'm not sure if this one is going to fly out or be really complicated?!!

Also is there any pattern to being earlier or later with 3rd babies? My first was 10 days early , my second was on due date.....

Last edited:
All the baby number 3's that I've delivered have been very straight forward, but I have heard what your'e talking about, that they can be a bit unpredictable.
As for timing...... my friend was early with her first, on due date with second, 2 days over with third and a week over with her 4th..... go figure :lol:

My third came on the due date. With two previous been 1 week and 2 week early. The pain doesnt get any less unfortunatly. Babies tend to weigh more the more you have also

My third baby was the most overdue - she was 8 days late! That said, her birth was absolutely beautiful. It was transcendent and transformative and the most profound bonding experience with my husband, too (we have been closer since that day than I ever imagined two people could be). It makes me tear up just thinking about it!

It was absolutely easier, too (except the pushing part, which is horrible for me every time - though it only lasted about 4 minutes so whatever!), but mostly because I was able to focus and relax instead of panic. I don't think that the actual pain was less intense, I just think I was able to be in the moment and allow myself to relax in a way I wasn't able to the other two times. I also kept my eyes open during contractions and that made it less intense than closing my eyes, which I'd done the previous times.

Last edited:
My 3rd was an induction.

For comparison 1st was 50+ hours and 2nd was 80 minutes.

With number 3, pessary went in and I had niggles for about 20 hours. Nothing too noteworthy and I was coping fine, then it all started proper and I had another 80 minute labour.

I've had all natural deliveries and thankfully no tears or grazes etc... was up and about within minutes of all 3 deliveries.

Easiest of mine was labour 2. I went in at 5am and was home for a late lunch. 3rd labour was similar but if been in hospital for about 30h before I had baby.....

1st was 9 days late, 2nd was a few hours into day after EDD and 3rd came at 38w (planned induction)

Last edited:
Watching to see!! My 2nd was so much easier than my first! Thinking of trying for a 3rd now xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back