39, 20 year old daughter and now it seems I'm pregnant!!

mishi

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am 39 years old and have a 20 year old daughter (who is off at University) from a previous relationship.

My husband and I have been happily married for 10 years but he wasn't fussed about having an addition to our family until 4 or 5 months ago, when he changed his mind.

I had a think about things and we decided to come off contraception and 'just see if it happened'. Well it has......!

I was due on my period on Friday and I have just taken 3 tests and they are all positive!!

I am thrilled and terrified all at the same time. What will my daughter think?? What will my family think? Daughter will definitely think im too old that's for sure! Worried about being an 'old mum'!!!!!!!!

I know its VERY early days and don't plan on sharing this news until we know for sure that all is well (if you can ever know for sure!) but I need someone to talk to other than hubby :)

Has anyone else been in this situation, would love for you to share?

Hey there, congratulations and welcome to PF.

My cousin is 40 and had her first baby, a little girl, in July this year.
No one thought she would have had kids but we were all so pleased for her when she announced her news.

Your daughter won't think ur too old, and if she does, I'm sure that feeling won't last.
I'm sure everyone will be happy for u! :) x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

wow thats great news

im sure she will be fine

when i was 18 my mom felt pregnant with her new partner and she was in her 40s i was so thrilled for her, unfortunatley it ended at 8 wks which is very sad but fr that short time we was all really happy

your only as old as you feel hun x If its what you want go for it :) x

congratulations!!!
:)

im 20, my mum is 45, if she was pregnant now, id be a bit, 'are you guys still doing it?' because as soon as you are old enough to know where babies come from, you dont like to think of your parents doing it!!!

i was 13 when mum had my lil sis, i was really excited!
im sure your daughter will be, babies are always exciting!

Hi congrats on your new addition. I am 34 and was a single parent for 13 years with a teenage son when I got with my partner and we fell pregnant. My son is so excited about it and has been buying things since we found out. lol. xxx

Congrats :)
My mum fell pregnant at 44 as her new husband had no kids and wanted one of his own, my little brother is now 3 and i am 27 :) i have to say its a little bit weird especially as my daughter is a year older than her uncle and its strange me having a brother who's so young but i was happy for her when she told me they were tryin and i am sure your daughter will be the same :) hope everything goes smoothly for you! x

Hi Everyone,

I am 39 years old and have a 20 year old daughter (who is off at University) from a previous relationship.

My husband and I have been happily married for 10 years but he wasn't fussed about having an addition to our family until 4 or 5 months ago, when he changed his mind.

I had a think about things and we decided to come off contraception and 'just see if it happened'. Well it has......!

I was due on my period on Friday and I have just taken 3 tests and they are all positive!!

I am thrilled and terrified all at the same time. What will my daughter think?? What will my family think? Daughter will definitely think im too old that's for sure! Worried about being an 'old mum'!!!!!!!!

I know its VERY early days and don't plan on sharing this news until we know for sure that all is well (if you can ever know for sure!) but I need someone to talk to other than hubby :)

Has anyone else been in this situation, would love for you to share?

What exciting news! Firstly congratulations, both my parents are exactly 40 years older than me.... I have genuinely never noticed any different. My friends and I have experienced exactly the same things and I cannot fault them.

I think that there are always two sides to a story but you have a wealth of experience and knowledge to share with your little one. I am 24 and pregnant with my first child, I am petrified of not being able to provide!!

I am sure no matter how your daughter reacts, she will come round pretty soon to the idea of being a big sister.

xx

Congratulations!! Ur daughter is old enough to understand that if its what u want then she should support you so I wouldn't worry :) hope u have a happy healthy pregnancy!! :) xxx

Thank you all for taking the time to reply! I feel quite emotional today and its lovely to have people to 'chat' to.x

Hi mishi....I'm 39 and my daughter is 18.....congrats and welcome :wave:

My daughter is over the moon at the prospect of having a brother or sister (although she wants a little sister) I lost twins last year they stopped at 6 weeks so we are all very nervous about this pregnancy but so far so good!

I am terrified of being a mum again after such a big gap and wonder how I will cope as I also have health issues. Also the prospect of being an older mum scares me although everyone says I don't look my age which is nice :).....my partner is only 22 :oooo: ...so when I'm an old mum he will still be a youngish dad lol...not sure how baby will feel about that when it's older :shock:

If ever you fancy a chat I'm here everyday mostly xx

no experience in thi at all but just wanted to congratulate you and hope all goes well, i know if my mum had a baby now id be a bit weirded out to begin with but we all deal with the things life throws at us xx

What a lovely story!!! I'm really happy for you. My friend had a baby last year at 43 and she is an amazing mum. So calm and experienced. You will do great! My mum had me when she was 38 and I honestly never really thought about it. She was the best mum ever.

Congratulations honey. X

my mum had her 5th kid at 42, 18 yrs older than me and my sis is 2 yrs older than my oldest son shes 17 he will be 15 in march.i only found out my mum was preg on a new yrs eve when she had to be rushed to hosp and it was the consultant who said we arent sure how the baby is just yet lol so im like nice of my mum to tell me in the ambulance she was preg.spose it was a happy start to the new yr tho lol.congrats and enjoy im sure your daughter will be thrilled for u xx

my mum had her 5th kid at 42, 18 yrs older than me and my sis is 2 yrs older than my oldest son shes 17 he will be 15 in march.i only found out my mum was preg on a new yrs eve when she had to be rushed to hosp and it was the consultant who said we arent sure how the baby is just yet lol so im like nice of my mum to tell me in the ambulance she was preg.spose it was a happy start to the new yr tho lol.congrats and enjoy im sure your daughter will be thrilled for u xx

Although it feels like its going to be an awful long wait, we don't want to tell anyone at least until we have had our first scan, but she will be the first to know after that!

I was 16 when my younger sister was born and I was thrilled, however I already had a brother 2 years younger than me - my DD is an only child and used to having her Mumma all to herself! She is SUCH a Mummy's girl, even now, and I just hope that she is going to be ok with this!!

Hi mishi....I'm 39 and my daughter is 18.....congrats and welcome :wave:

My daughter is over the moon at the prospect of having a brother or sister (although she wants a little sister) I lost twins last year they stopped at 6 weeks so we are all very nervous about this pregnancy but so far so good!

I am terrified of being a mum again after such a big gap and wonder how I will cope as I also have health issues. Also the prospect of being an older mum scares me although everyone says I don't look my age which is nice :).....my partner is only 22 :oooo: ...so when I'm an old mum he will still be a youngish dad lol...not sure how baby will feel about that when it's older :shock:

If ever you fancy a chat I'm here everyday mostly xx

Hi TeeUK,

Thank you!! I'm terrrified too :shock: I'm often told that I don't look my age but my dearest Mother also tells me that it will catch up with me soon and overnight I will age 10 years - this might just be the thing that does it :)

I am also worried about the risks associated with being older and pregnant.......

I need to stop worrying :shakehead:

huge congrats to you :)

My aunty was 39 when she fell pregnant so I shouldn't think in this day and age that age is a factor.

If it was me that was your daughter I would think it was awesome :), but you know your daughter best xxxx

Congrats, my auntie was of a similar age when she had my cousin. Your daughter is old enough to understand and not be jealous. Hope all goes well for you. x

I can see from your pic you look young :) It's really difficult not to worry about every little thing, this last 3mths for me have been the longest ever. I have my scan on 29th and I'm so nervous as I've already had 2 mc's. Make sure you got some preg vits and folic acid at hand, I had trouble eating first month or two xx

Ahh congratulations to you on your news

I had a baby nearly a year ago at 37, and it's brilliant!!

My kids are not as old as your daughter, mine are near 13, near 11 and near 10 (just after xmas bdays!)
They love my new baby Devon and it's brought them closer together - there great with him, and your daughter at 20 well- wow babysitting age!!!

age wise, I feel it's keeping me younger too! and will do for next 20 years hopefully

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back