37 weeks - baby transverse - any advice?

Duckie D

Reaction score
Hello, just been to see my consultant and my baby is in transverse position so if waters break from this day onwards she had said it is a medical emergency and would have to call 999! So they are rescanning on Tuesday next week. If baby is in same position then they'll admit me and schedule a c-section for the week after. Really upset and panicking about this. Couldn't bear to be in hospital until baby born away from my toddler.

Has anyone else been in or is in the same position. My consultant is very pro c sections.

Has anyone seen a chiropractor and had the Webster technique. I'm just googling that and spinning babies but feel I've left it too late.

I've been swimming weekly but now worried about continuing in case waters break and have to 999!

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Hi hun,

Please dont panic quite yet....

I had exactly the same with my first. I had him turned and it went very well. Have they said its too late to turn your baby? If not I would say try it. It took about 5 min to turn my and he stayed head down.

Also with my second I went to a chiropractor to get her head to engage and it worked. I only had two appointments and she was in.

Im only tiny (4ft 10in) and my babies dont have a lot of room. So far this baby is head down in the last scan but you never know do you...

Fingers crossed for you hun and I wish you all the best.

X

Thank you Shorty77, they didn't mention trying to turn baby. I didn't even think about it at appointment -wished I had. I'm only 5ft too so less room, I'm also 41 and on clexane (blood thinner) so may be I'm too high risk to do turning. Do you think it's too late for chiropractor. Are they expensive?

My MiL told me about my husband being breech and the night before they were going to section her he turned, he also arrived bang on due date ... So turning can happen.
However I've been through the panicking stage and I am booked for a section which I am now mentally prepared for, so my advice is mentally prepare yourself for a section and then if baby turns its a win win situation ... I also have to ring 999 if I go into labour, but I'm trying to convince myself that it isn't going to happen as there isn't enough pressure on my cervix (that's what I keep telling myself anyway).
Just mentally prepare yourself for all situations so either way you feel less need to panic, and make sure your bags are packed and everything at home is ready for your baby x

Thank you MrsB2105,

That is great advice too. I'm thinking I need to prepare for that now and just make sure baby gets into the world healthy. I will know more on Tuesday and I'll ask about turning. Decided I need to chill out a bit more and continue swimming and exercise ball. Just need to get through these next few weeks.

Thank you x

I have heard the turning procedure can be uncomfortable/painful depending on your pain threshold. I have also heard that bouncing on the ball helps with turning. I'm unfortunately stuck with 2 footling breeches and there is no room left for them to turn on their own and they won't turn them as its too dangerous with there being 2 in there. My babies made me go from high risk to super high risk lol, if they decide it's safer for you to have a section I doubt you will get to due date as they will want the safest time and to avoid natural labour as much as possible. Like I said though prepare for your worst case scenario and anything else will be much better :) x

In some ways I think it is easier to make the decision once the baby (babies) has made it clear they are not for turning. I think the difficultly at the moment is tolerating the uncertainty. Will she turn still, am I jumping the gun agreeing to c section if there is still a chance of turning. Is there anything else I could be doing? My consultant now on holiday for 3 weeks and so seeing a new dr next week. It's all the what ifs that are driving me bit nuts. But like you say, I'll plan that I'm going in next Thursday and sort out all childcare and other things. Then if things change, it's all a bonus. X X

Maybe ask if you could be booked for a section in case but if baby turns then could it cancelled? The worst they can say is no isn't it.

I hated the not knowing and since being booked in I have relaxed a hell of a lot, I think it's because I know what's happening and I can count down to it. I am a planner though, I make lists for everything and like to have some kind of control :) x

I, too, have a transverse baby at 36 weeks exactly today. I am going to be scanned to find more tomorrow, I hope and will fight a c section if possible, at least until September, but that's just me. As Mrs B says, in some ways it's good as you know exactly when and where things will happen and you can prepare yourself more easily. If I have a. C section, it will be fine and it will be for you too, but I would say make sure that you are clear on all of your options in terms of giving baby time to turn. I have heard that they can turn in labour. So hard as I think you have to judge your instincts against what the pros are saying. I am not one to go against the pros. They have been great so far, but I want the chance and it will need a lot of thought before I decide to definitely go for it.
I think c sections can be excellent and I am not fighting it because I think it's bad. I just would like to give my baby the chance to move. Good luck. Will keep checking to see how you go! Transverse babies can be quite sore too... Tight all along top of bump and where head, back and bum are!
Let's get moving babies!

Read spinning babies, it is how to turn a breech baby the correct way so will help more with transverse baby, my last was transverse at 36 and I managed to move him,
Basically get on all 4s as much as possible, lean over a corner sofa, lean over a birth ball, just go on all 4s, bounce on a ball, and the one I tried twice but couldn't do it as no arm strength, basically hang upside down off sofa ( with help) aim to all is baby likes head to be at highest point so upside down etc means bum is higher, good luck but defo read spinning babies xxx

Yes. Spinning babies is good. Mine hasn't responded(!) but think it usually has a good success rate!

Thank you for replies. Lol Mrs B, I'm a real planner/list-maker too so tolerating uncertainty is more stressful. I took your advice and phoned hospital and my consultant called me back and answered all my questions. I can have a scan just before section and if baby has moved, I can decide if I want to cancel it. Feel much more in control now. Also asked about ECV and whether seeking chiropractor might help. She explained reasons why not.... I'm on clexane so bruising and bleeding risks - happy not to try the ECV, but wanted to rule it out. I agreed with her that sometimes a baby has decided on a position for a reason and so sometimes to go against nature is not advisable.

How was your scan SiameseCatLady? I agree about being uncomfortable. I had wondered why I was feeling I'm more pain. Feel better now there is an explanation.

Thanks for tips Tillyfloss. I am going to do exercises on there. Went swimming today and long (for pregnant woman who waddles "long") walk too. Fingers crossed she'll turn

Also consultant said my height/weight should not affect room for baby to turn so I'm still in with a chance.

D X X

Oh that's fab :) it feels good to have some control doesn't it. At least you can plan for either way and see what happens at the scan :)

I shall keep my fingers crossed that baby does turn for you x

Thanks Mrs B. I feel so much better now and I'm focusing on delivering healthy baby which ever way nature dictates (with my wishes also not be ignored). X X

Hi Duckie....
Don't want to make you feel worse, but my baby is now head down!
There is still time and apparently, there is less than 5 % chance of it moving back now.
Don't give up hope! It can still happen. Xxx

Thanks Mrs B. I feel so much better now and I'm focusing on delivering healthy baby which ever way nature dictates (with my wishes also not be ignored). X X

Just remember you always have a choice, sometimes you just have to speak over the Drs to get heard x

That's the bit I find hardest,speaking up, but glad I have. X

That's great news SiameseCatLady, there is hope for me yet. I think she's on the turn. Positive thinking. X

I have double the hormones I had no issue with it lol x

Hello again,

Update on situation. I'm 38 weeks plus 1 and been admitted to hospital with planned C section in mind, as baby is still transverse although she has been flipping 180 degrees and on Tuesday two midwives said she was head down.

As baby is transverse and it's not a good position because of cord prolapse and because I'm on blood thinning injections every day it makes my situation more complex. I can't decide what's going on. I really want natural birth and midwives supportive but because of transverse lie and injections I could risk emergency with no hubby and not being awake as would have to have general.

Midwives very pro waiting to see, early days, I'm well. Drs very, your over 40, transverse, on clexane, section!!!!

One dr today was so over confident that she looked at my bump from a distance and says without feeling..... Yes, definitely transverse!!!!!!!

So confused.

I stay in now until birth or until baby head down for at least 48 hours. However, based on the variety of opinions I don't trust anyone's palpations anymore. Asked for another scan. But not had one.

Any advice? X X

How can they tell baby is transverse from looking at you? One of mine has flipped to transverse and I wouldn't know my bump is still the same shape.
Any idea when they will give you a section then?
I have the risk of cord prolapse as twin one is footling, they really won't entertain natural delivery while that is a risk I'm afraid. Maybe ask for a ball if they have any and bounce to see if that turns baby?
Sorry to hear you are stuck in hospital though x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back