34 week midwife appointment

.Ruth.

Reaction score
well after not being on the system and having to wait an extra 30mins in a hot waiting room with no ventilation I was seen by the midwife...

Baby is 4/5 engaged! ... I'm not really sure what this means but she said it's good! Does this mean he will be earlier rather than later??

Mentioned my period pains and she said to keep an eye on them but said are BH so it's nice to have that cleared up.

When I lay down to get measured and listen to babas heartbeat my pelvis locked and got such bad pains in my bum cheek! She said it sounds like I have sciatica? anyone else have this?

All in all, baby is doing fine - still measuring 2 weeks ahead but no need for growth scan apparently. I'm waddling like a trooper and he seems to be getting comfy in my pelvis :)

Last edited:
Glad all is well.

Baby can stay so far engaged for a while, doesnt mean he will be here any earlier unfortunately.

Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

ah man bet you were roasting!!!

Unfortunately baby being engaged doesn't mean they will come any sooner this was a question I asked my midwife just means there is less chance of them turning and being breach.

pleased to hear baby is doing well xxx

I'm just glad he's the right way round! and explains why I keep peeing myself and feeling like I have a head in my fanny haha!

Thank ladies :)

I'm just getting impatient haha

Engagement of the head, the midwife draws 5 imaginary lines over the baby's head. The brim of the pelvis is the guide. The midwife feels for the head (this is when she goes almost claw like for the head) she feels for how many 5th's she can feel above the brim. Hence your baby has 1/5th of the head below the brim into the pelvic cavity. Good signs and can stay like that for a while and hopefully will move down. It will make it harder for the lo to flip breech.

I'm just glad he's the right way round! and explains why I keep peeing myself and feeling like I have a head in my fanny haha!

Thank ladies :)

I'm just getting impatient haha

Oh my! If this is what its like for baby to be engaged then maybe im pleased be isnt engaged yet lol. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

Ruth, get in your head now that baby won't be here till 42 weeks!!! Or when you hit your due date time is going to drag.

Like others have said it means nothing. I also thought 4/5ths engaged means only 1/5th is actually in the pelvis. But none of it really means anything I think. :-(

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

4/5 means baby is just on the pelvic brim, so going in the right direction! There is a little section in the green notes that explains it. I wish baby engaging did mean it would happen quicker, but my NCT teacher told us baby can engage, then un-engage and even flip into breech if they want- though this is unlikely.

I'd still take it as great news about being engaged, it can only be a positive thing regards to labour. Best to stay as, positive as possible I reckon.

I occasionally get a, ridiculous pain in my butt cheek so think I have a bit of sciatica too. It all goes to pot now I think!
Got my 34 week appt next week when I'll be nearly 35 weeks and bloods for it today xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back