31+2 Midwife Appointment...eeek!

Bee7

Reaction score
Had my 31+2 midwife appointment today and apparently i am carrying a little chunk of a baby boy. Last time i went he was slightly bigger than average but still well within the normal range. Now he's only just within normal and if he keeps growing like this i'm probably going to have a growth scan.

Does anyone know what this entails and what the purpose of it is? Kind of worried now, especially since this is my first. I'm glad he's healthy of course but surely a little tiddler would be easier to get out lol! xxx

I've had 3 growth scans since 31 weeks. I suddenly measured 36 weeks at 31. In my case I have extra fluid around the baby, the extra scan is nothing to be worried about and I found it reassuring as I like to know why everything is happening!! At my hospital - they measure the head, the abdomen and the femur length on the screen and the depth of fluid around the baby. From this you get an estimated weight on your notes too, so if anything it's quite good to know approx how big baby is. You also get to see how huge baby is now, they can only get the head in where as at the 12 week you got the whole body in. They also confirmed that mine was a girl for a second time so I feel more confident about all the girl stuff we have now!!
Doesn't sound like you're measuring that big, I was referred for a growth scan straight away! but it's good that they are aware of it and you will be in good hands.

Hope this helps a bit. xx

Thanks Poppy, doesn't sound like anything to worry about. I thought the reason they might do a growth scan was to plan a c-section or something in case baby is literally to big to push out!

So in your case was it the fluid making ur measurments larger or do you still have a big baby too? I must admit i'd quite like another chance to see bubs before he arrives :) xx

Hiya again.....baby is a normal size, it's all fluid with me, they ruled out gestational diabetes and said it can be just the way you are carrying but it can cause some birth issues, mainly cos it's an unstable baby (moves around more easily) so I have various birth plans that are all up in the air, but hoping for normal delivery still. They will check baby over when she is born to see if she has any abnormalities in swallowing etc but I've been told they don't consider high fluid to mean there a high chance of this.
Even their guestimate at baby's size via the growth scan can be quite out so I've heard.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back