3 year old with an abcess?

russellmuscle

Reaction score
Hi all

Thoughts please.

Jackson has been quite crabbit the last few days last night quite whimpery in his sleep but nothing too out the ordinary still eating. He didnt drink his milk which he sometimes does and off he went to nursery.

Hes at my mums until Im in from work but my mums just rung and told me his mouth/cheek is swollen and hes saying he doesnt want anything. Not sure if theres anything obviously wrong until I get there and inspect.

Will obviously be ringing out of hours when I get in but just first thought being an abcess but didnt quite know how common they are in toddlers?

Hes up to date with dentist, last being a month or so ago and all was perfect. Hes had no mouth traumas recently and teeth brushed twice at home and at nursery after lunch so well looked after teeth.

Is it possible to still be an abcess ? Or perhaps theres something Im not thinking of? Ive ordered some calpol until I get home.

Poor boy.

xxxx

I'd deff get checked with a doctor.

Did he bite his cheek (maybe whilst eating) or could it be mumps or other infection? If there's inflammation in his mouth, your probably best off getting some ibuprofen instead as its anti inflammatory. Hope you get answers as soon as you can get seen x

Ive got him home now. I was going to get it seen asap just felt a bit useless so decided to post here first!!

I dunno its quite big.. His glands seem ok but his cheek is sore to touch.

Hes in a fine mood now, just sitting on his tablet. Even says cheese for the camera so in ok spirits. Just awaiting a call back from nhs24 but we are sitting with coats on ready to rock.

I have buprofen here but my mum only had calpol.

It looks so sore :(

I touched his face and he says dont touch it so, i dont want to prod about ill leave it to dr.

xxxx

Attachments

• 20160322_195816.jpg
    20160322_195816.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Aww poor little man, really hope you can get seen quickly xx

We are home. Jackson has had a broken sleep but is now tucked up in bed with meds.

He has a partially erupted tooth at the back which they dont think has come in properly and/or isnt very strong. No signs of trauma or severe decay but weve to get a referral to dental hospital to have it removed under general anesthetic

To say Im surprised is an understatement. He doesnt eat sweets, brushes them 3x a day and recent dental review was "perfect" I think thats why she thinks its not a strong tooth as the rest are fine.

The only reason we got home is because its on the top back as apposed to the bottom posing any risk of cutting off his air.

Ive to go the dentist asap and keep up with antibiotics.

Glad to be home and glad its a dental issue as apposed to bacterial infection of other sorts.

Im in bed, away for a sleep.

I hope tomorrow goes better. Thank god David is off today to help me out.

xxxx

Hi Claire,

Sorry I missed all this? What happened did you end up in A&E? (soz I see you posted at 5.30am)

Poor wee guy, and he has been so brave!!

I have an infected wisdom tooth and I bet I've been a worse patient than J.

Sending him (and you) hugs

X

Yeah we went to out of hours then the GP says he wasnt sure what it was. I thought it was pretty obviously an abcess but then we went to a&e sat for 3h then we got an xray at 3am which ofcourse I had to say I wasnt pregnant as my mum was there but I ended up with a thick overcoat on standing with the radiographer my mum seemed to get less frustrated than me. Jackson was hours past his bed time with no antibiotcs or painkillers by this point. He was actually crying to go play with the screens in the waiting area :lol:

After we got xrays we waited another hour then the maxfax spr came and reviewed the scans and says it was his tooth and he needs it out eventually by general anesthetic. Im dreading that. So we got home just before 5. Thankfully we both had pjs on so straight to bed. Dentist this afternoon expects swelling to go down in 24h.

This was him after xray at 4am. He was terrified of the big stretcher so had to make him a wee makeshift bed but he slept u till 11am and the spr even poked around he didnt flinch.

Such an event for a bloody tooth I can tell you that. Triaged at out of hours, then a gp then triaged at a and e then through and had to tell another then the spr.

I was scheduled to get general anesthetic and last wisdom tooth out but obviously niw being pregnant it has to wait. It just swoll for 2weeks but numbing mouthwash was my friend should try that 3 times daily.

xxxx

Attachments

• 20160323_032259.jpg
    20160323_032259.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 27
Awww bless him. You can't be too careful with little ones and stuff like this though!!

You haven't told your mum you are preggers?

X

I know. I was scared it get so big he couldnt breathe. Hes ate fruit before bed so atleast hes tried something.

Nope, not told anyone. Only work lol and thats so I get out of the more mannual stuff.

Im telling the rents and mil/fil after the scan on Tuesday.

I just didnt want the same pressure I had with J my mum wanting to tell the world and with the loss in September I didnt really want anyone to know, work I guessed would need to know incase I get ill or something didnt go well. But no I dont want anyone elses input atm :p

Im getting excited though, almost time to share.

xxxx

Sounds like you had a very eventful night for a tooth!

Hope the antibiotics kick in soon, it really helps with the pain and such. I have some experience with going under general and the antibiotics and it's not that bad and the pain afterwards can be managed with calpol and ibuprofen and as his overall dental health is perfect is should heal quite quick too.

Bless him he's cheeks look really sore and swollen on that pic, wishing him well xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back