2nd hand pumps - opinions?

KateK

Reaction score
Have found a great deal but just don't know if I'm ok with it.. I've read that some pumps have an open system which means that milk can get into the parts that cannot be reached/cleaned - yuck.. What do you think? Would you? Have you? x

I would have thought you would be able to clean them, otherwise surely they would have problems with the first owner?

You can Snowbee, you can clean all the bits you can see but apparently (and I would never have known this if I hadn't researched fairly extensively!) the design of some means it's possible for milk to leak into the electric unit. This can fester and grow mould, I suppose fresh milk could then become infected, and if you didn't know the previous owner who's to say they don't have a blood-borne disease that could be in there.. Doesn't bare thinking about.. I've persuaded myself not to but it is scary as there are so many for sale online and there isn't much info out there about this.. I'd be very annoyed if I bought one new and realised this could happen. If anyone is planning on buying one that's very expensive make sure it a 'closed system'!

I brought my friends pump but made sure all parts can be cleaned. I wouldnt buy one if i couldnt clean it. X

As far as I can work out from the explanation you can clean the open system but it is more complicated to do so and more time consuming, plus there is a chance the operator might not notice it needs cleaning. So therefore it is able to be cleaned, it is just harder to do. Interesting point to consider though, thanks!

Medela swing can be fully cleaned and sterilised - I own one and don't think it's hard to clean.i think it depends how old / how used a pump is as to whether I'd buy 2nd hand... I bought new for my first as knew I planned on more children, I will reuse this time round. X

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Please read up and do your own research if it's something you're concerned about - those were just a couple of links I pulled from Google, all other sources have stated that the Swing is an open system. It's just a consideration, I think the risk of the milk going down the tubing and into the motor is small, it was just enough to put me buying off buying one second hand..

I have an ameda twin which works really good and you can clean all parts x

Hi Kate, I know what you're saying. I've also read similar articles that say - whilst you THINK you can totally sterilise every part - milk can get backwards up tubes and get stuck, including on the Medala Swing. And they're illustrated with some not too nice images.

Saying that, I've been lent a Medala by a close friend and am going to go with it. The way I've rationalised it in my head is that I don't want to spend £50-£100 on a pump at this stage, only to find out I can't feed after all. My SIL wasn't able to feed due to liver medication after baby was lying on hers in late stages of pregnancy, and another friend became so anemic that she was told by doctors she wasn't allowed to. So whilst I'm hoping to feed, I'm just going to see what happens when I get there after another four months of pregnancy and labour etc.. So seeing this pump as a kind of tester, just to have something out away in a cupboard, if you see what I mean.

If I'm going to be definitely feeding, I may buy a new pump once baby arrives (although I may just buy new parts for this Medala) but really don't see too much of an issue with sharing with a friend - although I see your point that a stranger might be a different matter.

Do you have any friends who could lend one until you know what you'll be doing? Hope this helps - I know exactly what you mean from your post and have thought about it lots too. Xx

Thanks lovely, yes you completely get it! I am gutted as I can't afford a new electric so will probably end up with a manual.. I was so tempted but as you say, it's a complete stranger, couldn't take the risk :( Would be a different story if it was someone I knew (I think i'm more worried about milk/blood being contaminated with some virus than anything else..)

Hey ho, it's good to be aware of, glad I found the info now rather than after I'd bought one. I am a self-confessed over thinker/worrier so I don't know how irrational i'm being.. I just know that I wouldn't be able to get it out of my head! Hope you're able to feed - I tried and couldn't with my first so am praying it works this time xx

I nevwd beought my pump till i was feeding. Mine is a twin about £120. Milk does not get in any tubes on mine. X

Hiya, you can loan them from medala you know xx

Yeah they loan out the hospital grade ones which have to be closed systems.. Where I am the rental seems to be around £40 per month so not much point really! x

I have a Medela swing (barely used because baby would hardly accept bottle, but hopefully I'll have another baby which will make it worth the whopping £135 or whatever it was!)- I v nearly bought off eBay and actually wish I had. I don't see how the milk could go up the tubing into the pump. And you could buy the Medela hand pump (v reasonable comparatively) and use the flange, connector etc from that- I did that when I went away and realised I'd forgotten the flange thing- the parts for the electric and manual pumps are the same. You would need to sterilise the tubing somehow bat apart from that I would probably go for the 2nd hand. When I was looking there were lots of 'hardly used' ones. Hope that helps x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back