28 month old and long flight/time difference

Colleen1988

Reaction score
My and hubby and I are dying to go to New York for Christmas next year, I've been before but hubby hasn't. We would of gone this year but my LO is only 16 month and I thought it would be unfair to make him sit on a flight for 8 hours when he can't even sit still for 2 mins lol.

He will be 28 month next xmas so I'm wondering if any of you have taken a 2 year old that far and how do you deal with the time difference as they won't understand it..

Thanks xxx

My family are Australian so have always transported various children between here and there with no issues. Take plenty of things to do on the plane and snacks that you know they like. With regard to the time difference we have always just let them do what they want, so sleep when tired and up when not, it usually takes two days for them to get into their usual routine so allow that amount to time to just chill out and for them to adjust.

We have literally just arrived in New York for a week and my lo is 16 months old. I wasn't looking forward to the flight but to be honest it wasn't as bad as I expected. He did get fed up and tired in parts but we did a lot of walking up and down the aisles and around the airport (if you're going via Heathrow they have a children's play area you can wear him out on first). I also brought a few new toys and favourite snacks to keep him occupied. One thing I didn't expect is that he was the only child on the flight - not just the only baby/toddler but the only child so maybe it's only me and you that think this is a good idea lol! x

Haha omg I wonder why??? I'll be going from manchester, maybe northerners take their kids to New York??? haha!
Not even sure if you can fly direct from Manc, I've not got that far in the planning yet. Where are you staying? Let me know how your LO is with the time difference :) enjoy xxx

Thanks! We flew from Manchester via Heathrow on the way out but will be flying direct back to Manchester on the way home. It costs a lot more to fly direct both ways! We're staying at the Distrikt Hotel, will let you know how it's gone when we get back xxx

Lol ill keep an eye out for your plane on the return journey I'm under the Manchester airport flight path lol

Lol is that not annoying?? I'm sure your used to it??
Have an amazing time, I'm so jel xx

I thought I'd update you now I'm back! The time difference was fine on the way there (they are 5 hours behind), we had a daytime flight and got there about 6ish their time. My lo had had his tea on the plane and he was fast asleep so we put him straight to bed at the hotel. He woke early the next morning around 5ish so it was an early start but he went to bed around his usual time and slept through every night we were there. Coming home was a different story, we had a night flight but he struggled to get comfy and only slept for about 4 hours, we landed at 9am and he fell asleep so we put him straight to bed when we got him and he slept til 2.30. He went to bed at 8ish that night so a bit later than normal and slept til 10.45am!! The following 3 nights he was awake for 2 hours in the middle of the night and he wasn't napping well in the day so it was all thrown out. Got back to normal after 4/5 nights.

The exchange rate is rubbish at the moment, around $1.20 for £1 so it's expensive over there. I made the mistake of buying nappies there - $15 for 24! Wipes are $4/5 a pack so take your own. Food and drink is also expensive, $8 for a pint of ale, $9 for a glass of wine, $18-20 for a pasta dish. Also, the subway isn't very pram friendly as there are lots of steps and only a select few stations with lifts so pick the location of your hotel carefully. We stayed a 5 min walk from Times Square and an accessible subway stop which helped loads. Hope this is useful, have a fab time!! xxx

Thanks so much Hun that's really helpful. Just been looking at hotels actually and popped on here for a nosey. Who did you fly with xx

We booked with BA, BA flights there and a direct flight with American Airlines on the way back. American Airlines weren't great tbh, no tvs in the seat in front (just overhead in the aisles!) and checking in at the airport was chaos. Was probably just worth it though for the direct flight. Would recommend the Distrikt hotel though xx

Can you believe the district hotel is sold out for next xmas already!!!! Looks perfect as well xxx

Wow, I'm surprised as we didn't book it until about June/July last year! It is good value for the location though. Hope you find something else xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back