21 months still on formula

Reaction score
My daughter is 21 months and is still taking a 8oz bottle of formula milk before bed and wakes 2 or 3 times through the night for more milk.

We managed to cut the night feeds done to one per night but due to chickenpox my little girl went off food so was super hungry at night. We are now increasing her food intake during the day to cut down night feeds.

Really think its about time she stopped drinking formula x

My son is a couple month older and he still does, does not like cowsmilk or anything else.. I've recently switched to toddler milk which he seems to drink fine, it's lesser calories so obvs should make him less full and more hungry in the day.. He seems to eat a bit more but also trying to get a cheeky bottle through the day... His last molar is coming through and all the last ones have all come one after another.. When one was about to pop he'd strike all together and just be wanting bottle all day long! I can't wait for the last to pop and try to get him off it alltogether.. My son solely drinks ready milk and it's friggin expensive!

Formula-wise, our daughter was on the stuff until just after she turned 3 but hadn't required night feeds since around 4 months old.

To be honest, 22 months old is still really young. My son (20 months) still has around 10oz (Lactofree whole milk) at breakfast and 10oz at bedtime. Maybe you actually need to reintroduce a daytime milk feed? She may still require more milk than just 8oz - some children seem to need more than others (my daughter at 3.5 still has a massive load of milk at bedtime).

As long as its toddler milk and not first milk that's fine

My sons 16 months and can't tolerate cows milk but is ok with formula ( don't ask )

It's fine at her age to drink that amount - it's full of nutrition :) but geez Waking that amount of time in the night - have you tried offering water instead of milk?

My sons 16 months and can't tolerate cows milk but is ok with formula ( don't ask )

It's fine at her age to drink that amount - it's full of nutrition :) but geez Waking that amount of time in the night - have you tried offering water instead of milk?
Its actually 1st milk the same she's been getting since birth. Is this wrong ?? xx

Its actually 1st milk the same she's been getting since birth. Is this wrong ?? xx

Even though the WHO says it's unnecessary milk as first stage isn't allowed to be advertised or included in promotions by law, it's really handy for on going formula drinkers. I've literally swapped last week to aptamil because hipp's follow on is A, hard to find B, an expensive joke at night C, not convenient. So yes as me being the organic hippy I was faithful to my hipp.. But now I've switched to aptamil toddler milk, it's more available and it has promotions and while I was looking for other milk as my hipp ran out again and didn't seem to be restocked quick enough whilst being extortionately high in price at any shop but morrisons. I've figured that it's mainly calories. So I suppose because you'd like them to move onto more solids in the day to feel nourished from it makes sense to give them toddler milk because it has fewer calories although when you have a case of craving milk, refusing to eat because of teeth it might have the opposite effect of wanting more because they're used to feeling more nourished of less milk.

I've tried the water bottle and he doesn't get fooled so easily.. I think he'll grow out of it when he's old enough to have a cup of water next to his bed and goes toilet by himself or something. We have odd nights where he does and where he doesn't..

I don't think drinking formula at that age is too much of an issue as long as it's not replacing food.

We moved our eldest onto cows milk instead of formula at a year by gradually mixing his formula with cows milk an ounce at a time. He was still having his milk out of a baby bottle until about 21 months, although was fine with other cups for water and juice. He would wake up the odd time in the night asking for a bottle. When we got rid of the baby bottles, he pretty much stopped drinking milk. So I do think the bottles and milk were a comfort thing.

He still wakes up in the night asking for a drink though. I don't think it's particularly right to assume a child can go all night with out wanting some kind of drink. We leave a no spill cup of water in his bed for him to drink in the night.

Last edited:

There's no right or wrong but toddler milk is designed for toddlers- first milk for babies. I would defiantley switch to stage 3 milk for sure and add some vitamin drops too for good measure.

It's tayloroed to their needs :)

After the response I got on this I immediately changed my little ones milk from 1st milk to full fat cows milk without any problems. fingers crossed she now begins to eat more as she wont be too full now from the milk :) . x

Great news! Wish I could do the same!

My son has 2 7oz bottles a day of formula but food wise he has

Bottle when wakes ( 6.30-7 )
Breakfast 8am
Snack 10am
Lunch 12noon
Bottle 3pm
Tea 5-6pm

He doesn't have an evening bottle because after tea and then play and bath etc he's ready for bed and refuses it :lol:

Good luck on solids increase :)

My lo was on prescription milk and I introduced cows milk by mixing it she had 6 oz bottles so did 4 oz formula 2 oz cows milk and so on she was 15 months at switch over.

Stopped formula at 13 months as she was eating 3 solid meals a day. She just had milk in the morning and evening buy only a few ounces.

Hi Katherine,

This thread is 5 years old, it might be better to make your own thread and ask your question.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back