21 day blood test

M1chelle

Reaction score
Hello ladies, anyone with experience able to help me out with my progesterone result? Doc was useless as expected.

I had my first 21 day blood test last month and was told that my progesterone was a little low at 25 when it should be 30. I did the test on day 23 and the doc dismissed it saying that it was probably too late (even though I'd checked with him before that it would be OK!). It was a regular 28 day cycle.

This month I received my first positive OPK in my third month of using CBFM so I know that I ovd on/around cd19 (
Does a positive OPK definitely mean I have ovd?) I spoke to the doctor and arranged to do my 21 day blood test on day 24 instead. Progesterone came up as 19 this time. Any idea what this is likely to mean if anything?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure why your readings are so low but a positive OPK does not definitely mean you have ov'd,

A positive opk is an indication that you could of ov'd as the LH hormone rises 1-2 days before ovulation can happen. But some women can have the LH surge without releasing an egg.

Has the doctor recommended anything after your last reading as it was low again??

Xxx

Hi M1chelle, I think it's always supposed to be 7 days before af, I'm not sure how much the results vary if you do a couple of days either side. Temping is a good way of telling if you actually ovulate, have you tried that?

Opk's are not definitive I'm afraid. With regards to your progesterone just because you haven't ovulated doesn't mean you won't next month. I didn't ovulate the 3 months before I conceived. In fact my progesterone was at 12 the month before. I really wouldn't worry. Best of luck xxx

I'm not sure why your readings are so low but a positive OPK does not definitely mean you have ov'd,

A positive opk is an indication that you could of ov'd as the LH hormone rises 1-2 days before ovulation can happen. But some women can have the LH surge without releasing an egg.

Has the doctor recommended anything after your last reading as it was low again??

Xxx

Thank you. No recommendations at all. I was seeing a couple of other docs who were onside with getting me referred to the fertility clinic ASAP but now I've got a new doc and she just said you've got to wait until it's been a year. She has referred me for ultrasound though so hopefully I'll go armed with all the evidence in a few months' time.. I didn't like her bedside manner at all.. nothing like the other two who were really nice and helpful. :wall2:

Thanks ladies.

Hi M1chelle, I think it's always supposed to be 7 days before af, I'm not sure how much the results vary if you do a couple of days either side. Temping is a good way of telling if you actually ovulate, have you tried that?

I know - they keep telling me 7 days before AF but if my cycle can vary by 7 days I have no bloody clue when it's going to turn up! At least finally getting a positive OPK this month I knew that I was oving a bit later (if I did..) so my cycle would be a bit longer this time.

I've thought about temping but I don't think I sleep well enough for that and am not always up at the same time. I should probably start trying though as it's getting late in the day to be figuring this stuff out :(

Yeah it's really difficult if your cycle varies. I've given up temping for the same reason, I sleep really badly. I did manage a couple of months though which confirmed the opk's for me. Good luck!

I did progesterone test 3 days before AF (cd23) and it was 19. Doc said I did it too late.
Now this month I'm doing cd18. Doc said that if its a bit lowish then I can take small dose of ultragestan natural supplement to boost progesterone. x

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I did progesterone test 3 days before AF (cd23) and it was 19. Doc said I did it too late.
Now this month I'm doing cd18. Doc said that if its a bit lowish then I can take small dose of ultragestan natural supplement to boost progesterone. x

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

That's interesting Charlotte, thanks. I wonder if it's worth me taking some as well. I just really don't like the idea of taking stuff without being told as I don't want to mess something else up because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back