2 weeks old fussy on the breast throwing a tantrum???

Ttc1234

Reaction score
I've also posted in the breastfeeding section.

My baby is 2 weeks old tomorrow and is exclusively breastfed. The last 3 evenings he has become fussy on the breast - throwing himself off, kicking, snorting and head butting the breast to get back on. Gets latched on the does it again. He's a great feeder during the day. Any suggestions?? Going to speak to hv on Friday. Thanks

Could it be worth expressing and bottle feeding him in the night/evening? That way he is still getting the same food but may not thrash about x

If feeding is going well during the day then I wouldn't worry too much. Is it cluster feeding? My lb used to be on and off the breast from 6pm until about 11pm, it was draining! It's just their way of sending a msg to your boobs to make more milk.
If he's otherwise happy, plenty of wet and dirty nappies and gaining weight I wouldn't worry. Bf is so hard in the first 6 weeks xx

Could be needing to poo or burp. Try laying him on you, tummy to tummy, and rubbing his back.

I had exactly this more so on one side weirdly.

Turned out I had gotten into the habit of trying to time feeds. I was going for every 3 hours (unless of course I noticed he wanted it before that) but it turned out I think this was too long and should.have been looking for other non crying queues.

If it is more so on one side you could feed on the good side and express off the other to keep up supply for when it settles down.Mine is now 17 weeks nearly and still exclusively Breastfeeding... It does get better!!

Xx

Last edited:
2 weeks is very often a growth spurt and this sounds like "growth spurt behaviour" - the fussiness actually alerts your body to produce more milk. Nothing to worry about unless it carries on for quite a while. I know it's frustrating though! Make sure you drink a ton of water to help your body keep up with the growth spurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back