2 day old baby LOTS of stitches and REALLY struggling w/bm

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by iwanttobeamumm, Jun 10, 2016.

1. iwanttobeamumm

iwanttobeamumm Well-Known Member

I have a really bad tummy ache (really need to poo sorry tmi) but I'm very sore and swollen and have ALLOT OF stitches, I'm pumping Breast milk for my little one as well as formula to top up
    (Which midwife has okd) can I take laxatives safely while bf? If not how much would I have to pump and dump? 😔

2. Maud

Maud Well-Known Member

After having my daughter I was on hospital equivalent fybogel and lactulose so those are definitely OK. I'm not sure about things like senna, that you shouldn't take while pregnant (brings on strong BH). I'd ask the pharmacist what they recommend and then ask your GP for a prescription next week - quite surprised they didn't sort you out in the hospital, I was sent home with a small pharmacy following my tear!

#2 Maud, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  3. IheartDex

IheartDex Well-Known Member

I really really struggled after my section. It was about 5 days after and I still couldn't poo so I sent my husband to the chemist and he came back with a glycerine suppository! It was magic. I had to stick it up my bum but it worked within 20 minutes! The relief! The trouble with lactulose etc is that if you've got a build up or hard poo, it doesn't really matter how soft the lactulose makes your poo in your bowel, you still won't get it out. The suppository softened the poo in my bum which meant I could get it out. Ha. The joys! Hope you get it sorted!! Xxx

4. IheartDex

IheartDex Well-Known Member

Just noticed this was 5 days ago! Hope all is ok :)

5. Princess81

Princess81 Well-Known Member

Try some prune juice too, that's safe and should shift things xx