1st pregnancy, 5 wks and very scared re symptoms etc.

tasha79

Reaction score
Hello, this is my 1st time on here and I'm here because I need some help.

I found out on Sunday that I am pregnant, so I went to the doctors who said I was 5 weeks pregnant (by working out due date etc). Hw wouldn't do any tests as he wants to leave it a couple of weeks to "see what happens". Is this normal? Does he think I'm going to miscarry?

I didn't think I was pregnant, as I felt (and still feel premenstrual) and had been very stressed with other things, so thought my being over emotional etc was due to that. But nobody has explained to me what's normal and what's not. I know everybody is different, but could someone please tell me if what I'm experiencing is "normal"?

Period type pains, light cramping which has become slightly stronger
Bad taste in my mouth
Constipation (which today turned to slight runs! sorry!)

Sore boobs etc I know about, but I get them with a period anyway. Other symptoms, such as crying, tiredness and being picky with food could be either pregnancy or stress related.

I don't know if all this is normal. And if I was to miscarry at this stage, would I know? I mean, would I bleed or what? I keep taking pregnancy tests to check that I'm still pregnant, but I can't carry on doing this!

Is it normal for a GP to tell you to come back in 2 weeks? Please help, I have no idea!

Thanks

Tasha,

Congrats on being pregnant. I can obviously only give you advice based on my own personal experience - I was pregnant for the 1st time but recently miscarried.

Even before my period was due I thought I was pregnant. I started feeling nauseous, had sore boobs, felt really tired, and emotional too (crying when I don't normally!).

What my doctor did when I first saw her, was give me a booklet of info, the name of the midwife & the number of the early pregnancy unit (I was just over 4wks at this point). The early pregnancy unit number was a godsend & I would suggest you try and get hold of this by contacting your GP or local hospital. There are gyno staff on hand to answer any questions however 'silly' you might think.

At just coming up to 8wks I started feeling really stomach crampy & spotting and my nausea disappeared & I just suddenly didn't 'feel' pregnant anymore. I went to A&E who took me through to the early pregnancy unit, where I had a scan & unfortunately they found I had a gestation sack but no embryo inside. Shortly after the miscarriage occured naturally - and believe me you'll know it if it happens.

All I can suggest is do what's right for you. If you have any concerns call the early pregnancy unit or just drop in and see them. And don't worry about being pushy - it's your pregnancy & your body, and whenit comes down to it - you know best!!!!

Good luck & hope everything goes well for you.

Thanks very much for your advice, I didn't know what was available to me and now I do.

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience, it must be very painful for you and it's probably not easy to give advice to another pregnant woman after what has happened to you. So thanks again.

I hope that everything works out well for you in the end, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Tasha,
Firstly congratulations :)
I wouldn't worry about the fact your doctor didn't do any tests, mine didn't do any tests and the only tests I have had done are the blood tests (check blood group/Iron level/etc.) by the midwife.

Also, don't worry about your symptoms, all of what you describe are quite normal and pretty much what I experienced at the beginning of my pregnancy and from what I have read many women feel exactly the same.

I would recommend getting a book on pregnancy, a week by week one that will tell you in little snippets what to expect. My mum bought me one and it's been the best thing to be able to read about what stage me and the baby are at.

Hope this helps to ease your mind, and if you need to talk feel free to email/private message me.

tasha - im 5 weeks and 5 days so we're more or less on par. I went to the dr's and they dont do blood tests til 8 weeks generally so try not to worry
i have been worried about miscarriage, although i have no physical or medical reason for it to happen, all the books seem to suggest how common it is within the first 12 weeks.
i am trying not to think about it, although i read everything on it, and would be more than glad to have a friend on here to count the weeks with

Thank you both so much for your advice, it's good to know that what is happening is normal. I really think the medical propfessionals should explain it to us though, so we don't have to trawl the internet to seek advice.

I too would be glad of someone to count the weeks with, and just talk with someone else who is in a similar boat. I will email/pm you both.

Cheers again

Tasha

I wouldn't worry about what your partner says. I think he means it as the fact that the first 3 months of pregnancy and what they call the 'danger' zone, usually they find if you last 3 months it shoud be ok but I wouldn't really listen to all that. If anything is to happen it will and at anytime. Do you know that only 4% of babies are born with an abnormality, I worried for ages about something being wrong with my child and that's the facts so 96% of babies are healthy!!!

Don't worry about the period pain and things. When I was due on when I was first pregnant I thought I was going to actually come on because I had the pains and sometimes I thought I felt my period but there was nothing! It's a strange thing is early pregnancy. Try not to worry too much!

it is great to have someone to talk to - and as silly as it sounds its reassuring knowing we're worrying about the same thing
i have been having a few cramps and the odd stabbing pain just to my left - i think it has more to do with my bowels :oops: but still worried about ectopic etc
my lack of symptoms doesnt help at all!! one book says symptoms are a sign of a healthy pregnancy and others say none isnt anything to worry about
im tired and off certain food - mainly cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and fish - but who wouldnt be!! so i do wonder if its wishful thinking and all in my head

I had "strange" feelings to one side that had me scared of ectopic pregnancy but it was normal so try not to worry.

I also haven't had much in the way of symptoms or at least if I have had them they've been very mild. I think you just have to put it down to the fact that every mum and baby are different and so long as you don't feel anything in a severe manner then you're probably doing fine.

But, if you are worried the best thing is to talk to your midwife as one thing I do know is that worrying about nothing is such a waste of energy, especially when one phonecall could set your mind at rest!

Good afternoon ladies!

I have just done ANOTHER pregnancy test, and got about the 7th positive result! I know I'm pregnant, but I now have even fewer symptoms than earlier on, so I can barely believe it, plus I don't want to believe it in case something goes wrong.

At first I felt like I was going to get my period, plus I was constipated, had sore boobs, a bad taste in my mouth and was tired. Now all I feel is tiredness, the bad taste and sore boobs. I know that I houldn't worry unless I feel pain, but I can't help myself. I don't even have a midwife to talk to yet, as my GP woudn't refer me when I saw him last Monday, as he said it was too early. I'll be 6 weeks on Thursday, and I still don't feel safe and secure.

I know every pregnancy is different, but it also seems that every pregnant woman is treated differently. I've heard of other pregnant women being referred to a midwife straight away, yet I was told to come back in 2 weeks time! I even went to see a nurse last week and burst out crying because all this uncertainty is driving me crazy. I just want to get to 12 weeks...now!

When I first found out I was pregnant I tested because I was gaining weight. I had mild nausea but I always had that before my period so I didn't take it for anything. The only symptom I had was weight gain. And I have a healthy baby growing inside of me right now. Now at 18 weeks I am starting to get the food aversions and crravings. I am also just now getting backaches and headaches. I am still exhausted all the time, so you're either lucky like I was or you're symptoms will show up full force in a couple of weeks. I read that symptoms don't usually arrive until 8-10 weeks or so. Hope I helped you a little.

it is soooo good to have you girls to 'talk' to and its great to hear from others who have been thru all this but have got to 18 weeks etc
i still have no symptoms tho i guess my boobs are sensitive a times and the blue viens come and go.. i have even been exhausted today but then i thought maybe i was getting used to it.
i have now taken about 10 tests lol and will be seven weeks this friday so 6 weeks to go til i worry less

thank you
its really good to know its not just me being a worrying loony.
my husband says he knows it'll be ok and to stop worrying but its alright for him but when questioned he simply said have ya ever known me to be wrong!!

Yes, it's really good to know that there are other women out there who feel the same way, and even better that there are women who have been this way and yet got through the 12 weeks.

The one nice ish bit of info that I can pass on is what the nurse said to me last week: "Pregnancy is a state of health, not a state of ill health". I think that's a good one to remember when we're cursing ourselves for not throwing up every 10 minutes.

I know I keep being told by the close friends that know my good news that I will rue the day I said I want morning sickness!!

Think yourself lucky you have no symptoms! I went through a phase of what I called all day nausea and I just couldn't eat anything. I was being sick most of the time or I just couldn't get through anything I was eating! I don't think you need to do anymore tests haha, by the 10th it is certain you are pregnant. Really don't worry about anything. Unless you get any major pains or you bleed I really wouldn't worry yourself for now.

I went to the doctor when I was 7 weeks pregnant and he refered me for the midwife for when I was 9 weeks but if I had gone at 4 weeks I would still have only seen the midwife at 9 weeks.

thanks it is kinda sinking in now that I am actually pregnant!! im seven weeks... ive gone off loads off foods and smells, and i have veiny boobs.
One concern I have is about CM - sorry if its too much information - since about 4 weeks Ive had thick, white creamy cm.. then today its kinda gone orange/golden almost like a jelly plus the creamy stuff... is this the mucus plug perhaps??

I was going to have a milkshake but I think I'll change my mind now...

Actually, I have the creamy discharge too, I thought that maybe it was thrush as my nurse said pregnant women are very prone to it. Whatever it is, I don't like it!

panic over (for now) according to my sources (the hubbies aunt is a doctor) it is all very normal... and according to my books there good be more to come (ew lol)
as long as it's not grean ( :shock: ) smelly or itchy we're ok!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back