1st GP App for TTC

CockerMum

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

So I have been trying since Oct 2015, confirmed ovulation through BBT charting. Regular ish 28 day cycles. I am 30 in May.

I have my first GP app next week about TTC and I am terrified - I quit smoking last year and piled on a few pounds. I have lost some and I am continually losing but I am so worried they are just going to blame my weight and fob me off.

I have no idea how to even start the conversation with the GP let alone know what questions to ask - please help me xx

Okay, So I just went in and said, That we had be trying for X months and things weren't working, I said that I was temping and timing, so I know I was doing it right but its nit working, I also said that It was starting to effect my health as i was getting depressed every month. xxx good luck xx

Good luck with it. The gynae I saw, in my opinion wasnt interested in me because of my BMI. He fobbed me off with the advice of losing weight and come back in a years time which was useless for me given that I am now 35 and feel like I am running out of time. He was not nice with me so fingers crossed you get someone who is more helpful and can see how miserable it makes people and how it affects our mental state

What did they say Lulla?

Exactly what I am afraid of Sparkle, I am losing weight but slowly. I feel if I leave it any longer it's never going to happen :( xx

Same really, Told me I had to loose weight, that was the problem ( which it isn't) Its obviously Progesterone because I've taking supplements this month and I ovulated!
I actuly hate BMI its so shit! Ill never get to the recommended bmi, I wasn't even born at it x
You may get a better dr then us though ? xx

My BMI is shit :(

Really not looking forward to it, but I know I need to try xx

I hope you get the support you deserve CockerMum. It sounds like you're making positive changes to your lifestyle as well and I hope they see that. I'm also going to see the GP next week. Now my prolactin is normal I've really noticed an increase in acne particularly around my jawline and also on my neck. I've never had perfect skin but I didn't have spots on my neck even as a teen. It may just be a new normal for me as the high prolactin was probably untreated for years and being on the pill was masking symptoms. Call me paranoid but I just want to rule out any other problems!! Good luck next week.

As far as I can work out they tell everyone to either lose or gain weight. Either way they should still run tests, even if you are outside the BMI range for actual treatment, they just won't start treatment until you are within their guidelines. The upper BMI range for treatment does vary, some places it is 35, others 30 and I have heard of one place that was 28.

Lots of luck when your appointment comes cocker. I hope the GP looks into things quickly for you! I agree there's always something said about weight but if you're losing then just reinforce that at your appointment xx

They blame weight for everything... my legs broke, oh it's probably your weight. I've always been on the bigger side, my lowest weight was 10 stone and apparently that was still to high. Large people have babies all the time!! I used to work at mcdonalds, and a person who I worked with was at least a size 22+, and she got pregnant, and all she ate was maccies through her pregnancy, and gained a shit loads more weight and had a perfect baby. So I think the weight blame is pure bull shit. :/ ugh. X

As you get older weight is more of a factor I was told at the hospital. I have had to lose a lot of weight to balance my hormones...until my BMI got under 30 recently I'm not even sure I was ovulating. And even if you are ovulating it's possible that your womb isn't emptying properly each month which will mean implantation is difficult or the wall isn't thick enough. It can also result in ovarian cysts which can interfere with ovulation. The fat messes up your hormone balnce, estrogen and progesterone. I didn't want it to be a factor but it was. I was so angry when they told me to lose weight at first but I'm having normal periods for the first time ever (I was previously too thin!). I recommend a low carb diet if you need to lose weight fast...I've lost just over 7 stone in a year with zero exercise. I really don't think I had a shot at pregnancy without the weight loss.

They shouldn't just blame weight though...they ought to see what is going on. But I only got scans because I had a cancer scare so maybe they don't do that. The NHS is so short of money they will use any excuse not to treat you. Private clinics aren't hugely expensive for initial tests and at least they'll take a full picture and identify problems.(btw I was 19 stone...10 stone is nothing - I don't see why that should be a problem)

Good luck...hope you don't mind me butting in with my experience. xx

Thank you so much ladies! I am going to reinforce my currently weight loss and that I am carrying it on. If I don't get help I may start looking into private although I don't think we will be able to afford it. I am thinking we will need 'turkey basting' so sorry describing it like that but no idea what it's called. Xx

They blame weight for everything... my legs broke, oh it's probably your weight. I've always been on the bigger side, my lowest weight was 10 stone and apparently that was still to high. Large people have babies all the time!! I used to work at mcdonalds, and a person who I worked with was at least a size 22+, and she got pregnant, and all she ate was maccies through her pregnancy, and gained a shit loads more weight and had a perfect baby. So I think the weight blame is pure bull shit. :/ ugh. X

I had a gp like this once. Not my proper one. Can never see her because she's nice. He would blame an ear infection on being fat. This is the same doctor who told me my miscarriage was a blessing because I wasn't sure if I wanted to go ahead with it... he's not there anymore. Hopefully struck off disgusting man.

This is why I'm putting off going to docs because I am overweight and I've put on a lot that I lost over Christmas so I'm hoping to try and shift it first or get pregnant. Whatever comes first.
Last time I was sick as a dog so should lose weight then hahah

My GP was vile to me last time when I came off contraception. He told me I was fat and that I would put my baby at high risk and be a drain on the NHS - this is why I have put off the GP so much. I feel like crying just thinking of going but I picked a female gp this time so hoping she is kinder xx

That's horrible CockerMum. No reason for any GP to treat you like that!! Hopefully this one is more sympathetic. Do you have a GP at your practice with an interest in fertility? Just thought it might be useful if you do.

I am not sure TBH. I rarely use the docs. Will ask when I go next week xx

I only mention it as my old surgery used to post it on their website so it was really easy to find. Annoying that my new one doesn't.

I have had a look on their website (never knew they had one - thank you) and they don't seem to have one for fertility :( xx

I have been putting off going to a GP for the exact reason.
Was already to heavy before (since quitting smooking the year before ttc), but after MC I did put on a lot more weight again...

Guess after 2 year ttc it is about time to do something though. And can't go breaking new years resolutions already.

Does having a open letter to the gync department mea ni an skip the gp's and make an appointment with them straight away? I got it when they removed my coil as I have endo as well, but have done nothing with it since as I really just wanted to get pregnant and not worry or think about that to much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back