1st Birthday questions - anyone NOT had a party?

CARNAT22

Reaction score
Obviously we're months away but I go to zero pay from August [and I won't get a salary until after bubs Birthday] so we need to give it some thought.

What did you / will you do for LO's 1st Birthday?

We need a venue as our place is too small - immediate family only (parents, siblings and James' cousins is 24 people :shock: :shock:). Also it's winter so we need an 'indoor venue'...

So stressed already as last party I had - my 30th - turned into a nightmare and to be honest I'd happily never arrange another party in my life!!

Also mine and OH's folks have never met. Not sure how but their paths have never crossed, even since James has arrived?

Is it awful not to have a party? Anyone go down that route?

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
We are going to have a small party in a local hall.

I wont be spending a lot of money on presents, I'm going to get him an animal rocker and some v-tech stuff.

It will mostly be an "adults party" as there are no kids in the family, so only babies of the friends I've made through the DS group, and baby groups.

In the corner of the hall I'm going to set up a soft play area for the kids and I'm going to do a cake, and a small buffet (which I'll make myself)

We had a family picnic as Max is a June baby, but as Tweety says maybe look at a small hall local to you. We went to one of Max's friends 1st birthdays on Sunday at a small hall and it was just 2-4pm, which was perfect for the kids. I took along Max's ball pool and tunnel for the babies and there was v-tech toys to play with. Buffet was sarnies and things like peppers, cucumber and carrots and dips. But of it's winter and mainly adults you could maybe do chilli and rice or jackets spuds? We also had a family BBQ at my in laws, do either of your parents have houses that would be big enough if you didn't want to spend out on a hall? xxx

we're not having a party. She only had her christening last weekend, and her birthday is next week so we couldnt justify another big event.

we are having a couple of her little friends round on her actual bday on the friday.
and some family round Sat x

Using tapatalk can't see tickers

We wont have a party....just family round for a cuppa tea and cake probs. Her birthday is on a friday so will ask them round on the sat. Im not planning having an actual 'party' until shes at least 5....I think some parents go way ott nowadays xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

We didnt do a party. Just couple of friends for a cuppa and a cupcake

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Thanks ladies!

My issue is even if we invite the bare minimum it will still be almost 30 people??

That includes us 3, parents, siblings + a few of their partners and James' cousins!

We can't do 'small'

I am stressed at the prospect of it :shock:

xxxxxx

Were having a little party for him at my mum and dads house (our house is far too small!). Just a couple of hours with family and friends. We've splashed out quite a bit on presents as it will cost us next to nothing for his party (I'll make all the buffet, nans making the cake etc).
Xxx

We're not having a party either. His birthday is on Sunday and we'll just be telling family that if they want to come and see him on his birthday, that would be great and we'll be doing some buffet bits and cake. IMO, he's too young to know what the hell is going on, and would just be overwhelmed by 30 people turning up at once!!!

Mine had their first party this year at 3 and 4! I did plan a small get together for Ks 1st, but I split with fob about a week before, so it got cancelled! If I'm honest though, I think at that age parties are more for the grown ups, cos the babies won't remember and ive seen some get really overwhelmed and upset by it! I finally gave in this year cos they were at nursery and asked for a party. Dreading this year's though, there's 2 weeks between their birthdays and they both want different parties! One wants a soft play one and the other a pizza express! Bloody £10 a head! So wish they had summer birthdays so they could have garden parties!

Cays little friend is 1 nine days before him.

We'll probably do something together the weekend in between for a joint party thing, and spend his actual birthday just is, maybe grandparents xx

We are just thinking of doing an "open house" type thing so hoping people come and go throughout the day, we will put on a buffet and drinks.
If we don't do this then we will take her out somewhere for the day.
We will need to take a trip up to a Scotland and will have a get together with grandparents/great grandparents aunties uncles etc
I just don't see the need to spend all this money on a party she won't really remember.
x

Alex's birthday is two and a bit weeks away. I think I'm in denial. I've said all along that I didn't want to have a party - I'm happy for his grandparents and two aunties to come over to our house and have a nice afternoon with him, and I'll make a cake and get some nibbles and a couple of balloons etc., but that's it. OH's mum keeps asking when we're going to 'invite' people - I've already told her they're more than welcome to come over, I'm not sending bloody invites out :wall2:

For Jacobs 1st birthday we just had immediate family over for a while, buffet on the garden, cake, that was it. He's now going to be 2 this Sunday (can't actually believe it!), and we are going to Butlins for the day with him, as he loves the water park/entertainment, then family will pop in and see him on the Sunday if they want too. He's still too you g to understand the concept of a proper party :)

Sent from my sexy iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I invited T bags friends to a soft play and paid for the kiddies.

Luckily up here they don't charge at most of them until they are over 1 (a few fibs may have been told by some of the parents).

So I only had to fork out a bit and everyone bought their own food and drink. I took a cake along and we sang happy birthday etc. it was nice.

We did have a family tea party after that as well though for granny etc

We're having a party, but only because we have lots of far away relatives, and lots of people who still haven't even met Alyssa for one reason or another, and even people who live abroad. So it makes sense to have a big get together. I'm inviting NCT mummies/daddies and babies too cos it's nice that we've all stayed close. However, if it's not a big turnout I'm not that fussed! We're just inviting anyone who wants to come, no pressure, we've got a function room booked whoever comes comes. Alyssa's not going to remember it so it's just for the guests' pleasure really! xx

Hey Hun,

Because Jackson's birthday is the 9th January, we aren't going to bother with a party for a couple of reasons, Christmas & new year obviously being one. I will have his first Xmas this year plus all the family to go round, everyones always busy skint at that time, my brothers birthday 21st December, our winters are terrible, and January will be a night mare, it wasn't so bad when we left the hospital but it was freezing, plus OHs birthday is 3rd January, and FILs is the 12th January. So we have loads going on LOL.

OH & I will probably spend the day with Jackson doing something, depending on if its a whole day event will determine whether we do the rounds at my mums and MILs. We may just let everyone come to us the next day, we don't have a car - although we may by then as OH is gna do his test soon..

I will do a 2nd birthday party though, because by then he will be at nursery and have loads of wee pals to invite, there's only really a handful of children in both our families :/ . We are doing a big cake though. I always had a fab cake so I wanna do the same for him. I hate birthday cake though.. LOL.

Why don't u organise a soft play date with everyone or something ? That way the kiddies can play and there's a lunch part. My niece had her 2nd birthday party there and she loved it they didn't wanna leave!

xxxxx

Last edited:
we didnt have any family at alexs birthday just a few mums and babies wwe just got all alexs toys out everyone had party food and cake and it was really lovely xx

We didnt have a party for Destiny. We just put up a few decorations around the house and had a quiet family day. We did do a 1st party for our eldest but as people said, they dont really understand and its mainly for the adults, so we didnt do it with Destiny. Nothing like a family day on such a special occasion

We just had her baptism and had the party in our house - 40 people! I don't want to do that again in a hurry but we do have all the decorations!
I don't know if you'd want too or even consider it but what about hiring out somewhere in a community centre? Our local one does that and charges about £50-100 depending on the size and includes things like chairs and tables. Then you could control what was spent on food and drink and invite as many people as you like?

Xxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back