18 month sleep regression - OMG

Discussion in 'Baby & Toddler' started by kitten2014, Sep 27, 2016.

1. kitten2014

kitten2014 Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Haven't posted in a while but out lil miss has hit the awful sleep regression and it blindsided me....she has always slept well 7-7 or 8-8 then suddenly out of the blue for the past week has been doing 7.30-4.30am and despite my best efforts only manages another 30mins before 6am then its up for the day.

Now I know im fortunate that she isnt waking during the night as that would be worse but I am trying so hard to stick to the rules ive set which is bed 7.30pm, dont leave bedroom til 6am, but waiting over 30mins for her to fall back asleep after ive been in for her to only sleep 30mins is killing me...I refuse to get up for the day myself at that time and so have been waiting for her to fall asleep and then trying to catch more sleep myself but then feelin shattered when she wakes again screaming....thinking tomorrow to simply get up when she wakes but keep doing what Im doing by keeping her in her room til 6am....I dunno anymore....

Once I realised yesterday that its the 18mth regression it has helped as was battling with myself trying to figure out why her sleep has gone to pot but even now having a reason its still frustrating...and of course im tired and cranky and so is she, yesterday she had two naps to try and catch up on her sleep but she still woke up early....other days she fights the second nap (as shes been on one nap a day for months now) and therefore is v cranky by bedtime and it affects her meal at night which then means she's hungry and its a vicuous circle...

some have said this phase can last 4-6wks...yawn...how have others delt with this, how do you keep goin and sticking to your routine when clearly they are trying to change it? I have often thought (whilst tryin to remain sleepy in bed, watching her cry at the door) 'fine, we'll get up for the day...' but I know this would change her routine too much and dont want to develop bad habits but it is hard watching her crying, willing her to go back to sleep knowing its all she needs as she's got v sleepy eyes when I go through and doesnt need anythin else doing....

Also, her top canines r comin thru and she's recently got all her molars and her bottom canines so realise teething could be a huge factor plus some days she eats so often and so much that think a growth spurt is also partly to blame....not to mention the usual mobility and mental development she's going thru...

Other than sleep she is doing fine, new words every few days, climbing almost running and generally happy and giggly but the lack of sleep is making her have tantrums more frequently and gets more frustrated and of course a tired mummy doesnt help...

again I realise there are no solutions but any methods/suggestions, words of wisdom anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated....

2. ml600

ml600 Well-Known Member

My little boy recently went through a regression at 12 months. He was also getting his molars too. He was waking every hour at would be up at 5am. It lasted about 2 weeks and now hes back to sleeping 7pm to 6am. I just kept his routine the same and grit my teeth through it. It's hard but will end!

3. babybee

babybee Well-Known Member

My youngest went through this too at around 18 months. Previously had been sleeping through 7-8.30/9. Then went to waking at 4.30/5. It lasted a couple of weeks and now she wakes around 7/7.30 so much better but not like it once was. There was nothing I did, just got up with her and kept her day routine the same.
    The other thing that I think impacted her sleep was that it happened during a period of her refusing to wear a nappy. I gave the potty a go and she took to it well. After that happened she seemed to sleep better. She's 22 months now and still doing fine on all accounts. However im sure we'll hit another regression soon enough.

#3 babybee, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  4. kitten2014

thanks guys, it helps that im hearing similar from lots of mums, that it shouldnt last long but babybee, how do you keep the routine the same when they are awake 2 extra hours of the day? Surely you had to offer a second nap? The funny thing is our lil miss refuses an early morning nap and still will go through til 11ish but now needs an avo nap 3/4pm, today she went down 4-5pm and was then fast asleep 7.30 - something that wouldnt have happened before these crazy wakeups...did you have a leave the room time of day at all and did you stick to it as Im finding it hard as my husband doesnt leave the house til 6am and dont want a bad habit happening of 'ill continue waking early as Ill see daddy' (something which started developing a few months back when she went through a bad teethin spell and woke early, the minute I stoppedletting her see dady, she slept later so evidently she is aware of how waking early can result in extra daddy time (something im not against by the way as my husband and our lil girl love each other very much but im very much aware of how easily bad habits can develop with her).....

sorry for the ramble but I guess what im trying to say is I am surprised you didnt have to change something esp the bedtime routine....unfortunately she'll probably just get out of this by the time we move house next month and then we'll have to set the routine again in a new environment...sigh...looking forward to the 7am wakeups...hoping they'll come back eventually....

5. babybee

I didn't offer an additional nap even though she definitely could have done with a morning nap. I gave lunch at 11/11.30 and then put her down at 12/12.30 and she would sleep till around 3. When she came out of the phase the nap length decreased to 2 hours so she was making up for some of the lost time in the nap.
    She would get very tired and grouchy at around 10.30/11 but luckily was quite nicely distracted by her older sister and she knew lunch was on the way too which helped.
    I don't think there is a right or wrong way to get through it though. For me this was the best way as I had take my eldest to groups etc and having 2 naps a day would have impacted all of us. So I did what I needed too to get through the regression.
    In terms of getting up with her, my first attempt was to.settle her in the cot, then Id bring her in my bed and it was pot luck if she would go back to sleep. If all that failed then I'd give up and we'd go downstairs for a play and see daddy before he went to work and then get her sister up. It didn't create bad habits for her but i know when my eldest went through sleep regressions she would get into bad habits like being able to watch a film on the ipad. So they're all different.
    I hope this phase is short lived for you both!!x

6. kitten2014

Hi thanks for that, the thing is it seems to also have started at the same time she got fussy with her foods and trying to teach her that if she doesnt eat her tea she goes hungry is hard as Im guessing the early starts are related to hunger...as the first two early starts had to go through and she straight away said she was hungry....leave snacks out with water now but she still wakes up at 4.30. today for example i know she hasnt eaten enough but trying in vain to get her to eat decent amount at mealtimes and less snacks during the days as dont want to have to her favourite meals which are not as healthy, plus the meals she is being fussy with are ones she's always liked so im sure she's testing me...I try the clean up and try again later method but I get a 'yes im hungry' but 'no i dont want that'...how do you solve this one without either going crazy, falling into shouting habit or giving in...?? The thing is yesterday she ate well at dinner, had dessert fruit and yoghurt and cheese and some extra snacks and she still woke up early so guessing it doesnt matter what I do.

It also doesnt help that she can...just...reachh the door handle and open the door so the 10min cry rule out of the window as have to intervene the minute she opens the door...sigh...changing the door handle for doorknob tomoz fingers crossed that helps....yawn....oh and her naps have gone to pot...no more than 30-45mins per hap...no matter how long she's been awake she does the same, whether one nap offered or two...same problem...oh and bless her wakes up from nap inevitably havin filled her nappy as her routine has changed and therefore she isnt like clockwork anymore and once youve changed her nappy you can tell shes still tired but not possible to get her to sleep again lol...

For the first time since she was 5mths old feel at a loss as to how to deal with this one....

7. kumber

kumber Well-Known Member

Honestly I think you're trying too much too soon. An 18 month old doesn't understand the concept of if they don't eat their dinner they won't eat. And if she is teething she will probably have a loss of appetite so would be better eating little and often. Just keep offering her healthy bits and smaller meals. Snacking on healthy food throughout the day is fine as humans are natural grazers anyway, it's probably better for her.

I'm not sure there's anything you can do about her sleep but ride it out. Between teething and separation anxiety (which is HUGE at 18 months) she will be all over the shop. It's a big time for her toddler mind as it's expanding very quickly atm so she needs lots of patience and understanding from you. Make sure you keep the fridge well stocked with wine :lol: just ride it out, it's a phase :)

8. babybee

oh hun, it sounds very tough at the moment. Both the sleep thing and the food thing are definitely a phase. However I cannot sympathise with you enough when it comes to food fussiness. I found it more unbearable than the sleep thing. My eldest became ultra fussy from 17 months and I wont tell you how long it lasted as it will depress you. I tried every single trick in the book and nothing would work. It was absoloutely infuriating. But one day I asked her, like I always did, if she wanted to try some of my dinner and shockingly she said yes and after that she ate everything and is still a fab eater. 3 months after she started eating so well she grew 3.5 cms and gained 2lbs - it was amazing.
    But it was a phase which also just needed to be ridden out. However my only tip right now is do what you need to do to make things easier for you and dont worry too much about bad habits.x

9. kitten2014

OK so on day 10 or 11 now and aside from two days where she sept tiul almost 6 she's back to 5am again...sigh...I am slowly getting used to it but my back is killing me, evidently that time of day I usually get my muscular rest done! It is hard but have learned to have chill time with her first before leaving room, sometimes see Daddy but not every day, spend an hour playing/watching tv until brekkie then the day starts...it gets harder as you approach 8/9ish as she is starting to wane but the day is just starting, groups etc anhd she enjoys them and plus find she fights any naps before 10 so whats an extra 30mins-1hr later after having fun with other kids...I am finding she does seem to need two naps especially if driving/active/hot weather etc.

But like you say babybee the food thing is frustrating as I find if she's tired and hungry you have lost the battle already, trying to accept she's now on 6-7 smaller snacks as opposed to three solid meals as what she eats at mealtimes is also snack portions...oh well...she still sleep through (albeit with early start) and doesnt seem worse off for it but do find some days she eats more fruit and oaty/yoghurt/cheese products and not enough protein/veggies and carbs but hey if she's healthy thats all that matters, used to get a lot of veggies into her when she ate my batch cooked chicken/mince dishes from jars but she wont touch it now and if put veggies on plate along with stuff (even in sauce) she doesnt eat them)...sigh...battle for another day....

She's slowly learning not to launch her food...told her off yesterday and she spent 10mins in her nursery with door shut bawlin whilst I tidied up the mess after telling her off...I repeated the same rule to her tonight before startin tea and she passed me the bowls! progress...fx

she is still waking bawling after naps but guess that will resolve itself once her night sleep back to normal as Ive found even if have day at home and follow her lead with naps she still wakes bawling...tiny bit of progress on nap length from 30mins to 45-60mins now so better....

Oh well may have to accept for time being at least I have a 7.30-4.30/5am girl on my hands lol...

Thanks for all your stories and words of encouragement...it has helped and ppl I speak to at group tell me the same thing with similar aged toddlers ranging anything from 15-28mths...fx its not that long...

10. kitten2014

OK still having the 5am wakeups, think she's now tuned into when daddy wakes up! sigh...have bought the gro-clock and will see if can get her to understand that and increase her waketime or at least not waking crying! Its been two weeks of early starts and its affecting my health now, try early nights but cant do much earlier than 9.30 as hubby gets home 7ish for her bedtime then our tea, tv then bed...

11. JD.Deedee

JD.Deedee Well-Known Member

Try take out the naps perhaps start with one but the older they get the less sleep they need and naps will then cut short on night time sleep. My little boy took twice as long to sleep around 12-13 hours at night and now is starting to sleep about 11, hes not napped for about 6 months and even then when he still did it was because he wouldn't do a good 12-13 hours at night.

12. kitten2014

hi jaydee, good idea in principle and today I managed it but she went from 5am to just after 12! she's had 20mins then woke up crying just trying to c if she'll resetlle fx it works as I know that was a long time for her to be awake...the thing is then she struggles for teatime and to keep going til bedtime and a) she likes 7.30 bedtime and b) it enables daddy to c her some nights so dont want to bring bedtime further forward as one thing I noticed over past two wks is she has wanted to maintain same bedtime regardless of when her naps were...