15 months old and still not walking

Rooster30

Reaction score
Oh geez. My daughter turned 15 months old today and we're still waiting for her to walk. She crawled at 7 months, and sofa surfed from 9 months but since then not much of anything. My son walked at 13 months so this is becoming unbearable! She has only just started to walk whilst holding just one of my hands... But she only does it because I put her on her feet - otherwise she'd really be quite happy crawling.

I'm now walking her with one hand wherever she wants to go, I try not to carry her unless she is very unhappy about it and goes wobbly. She doesn't seem particularly fussed about walking aids - she has something to push around and a mat that makes noises as she makes steps along.

Last weekend whilst my Oh and I were away for a night she took 5 unprompted steps. She takes little steps her and there, literally two steps then will make a dive for it for just sit herself down. I mean just ARGHhhhhh. I really would like her on her trotters as more than anything I think my son would get on with her better when she does, I figure he'll view her as a proper person then (this is what happened when his cousin started walking anyway).

Anyone else had late walkers?! I know it isn't end of the world by any means, just me thinking 'c'mon lass crack on with it'. Any tips on how I can encourage her to use her feet?

My eldest walked at 14 months and I remember thinking hurry uuuuuuuup!!! No tips but totally feel you on the frustration side of things. 5 steps is amazing though, fx it becomes 5 more!

My boy was so lazy when it came to walking... he was with most physical things actually.

I can't remember when he started crawling but I do remember people saying about putting something in front of him, I'd try it... he'd try and reach a couple of times and then just lay with his head on the floor... like quite happy he'd just lay there.

I do remember he was 17 months when he started walking as he started doing it over our Christmas and new year holidays. He took a few steps holding people's hands when we were away at Christmas and then walked loads when we were away for new years.

Although he was so slow at doing this he is developed fine and he is actually very smart. I think he just didn't really have an interest in doing it, so he didn't bother.

My little boy didn't even weight bear until 20 months! He then walked unaided at 22 months xx

My eldest was nearly 16 months when she walked. She never did the one step, two step thing, just went from nothing to walking everywhere overnight x

My son sat in his bottom and didnt move till he was about 17 or 18 months. Nothing was moving him he just sat and rolled. Didnt even want to stand. I called him my wee pudding. Then one day he got up walked as that was it. He didnt fall or stumble or do a few steps he just walked including stairs. Im now convinced he sat and worked it all out and then when he wanted to he just did it fully. Hes been the same with toilet teaining as well as hes ges 2 years and 1 month and nearly all others are toilet trained. I tried a good few times to hissy fits and per everywhere and have left it. Literally the last 2 days hes decided he wants to do it and hes now done both in the toilet with little hassle. Its hard to say but they are all different. My son is clearly his dad over the back who does not do anything until he wants and he knows exactly what hes doing. Hence why he didn't drive till he was 35!!!

Thanks all. My nephew didn't walk until the day before he turned 16 months, and like many of yours, no steps until one day he just got up and did it.

After I made this post she took 8 unprompted steps, and then another 5 later on. She just decided to leave the sofa and walk... her walking was very slow, each step was bravely taken on. I'm hoping just having her hold my hand and walk everywhere will eventually help. My mum said that surely once she takes 10 steps that's the point where she'll start getting confidence in it.

She has been going to Tumble Tots since 12 months (not because of needing her to walk, just a group to get us out) so thought this might have helped her with walking. The teacher there scared me as she said her two didn't walk until 16 months and one is dyslexic now and she thinks the other might be too, so it's comforting to hear this isn't a rule of thumb for all late walkers! She seems quite bright - she's a relatively good talker, and has mastered riding and steering a trike.

I had hoped she'd be up and walking by my birthday which is on Saturday... now I'll have to move that hope to hoping she'll walk by end of summer holidays...

Last edited:
Dd1 crawled at 11 months and walked at 17 months.

Hope you are well Rooster.
Arran was sofa surfing from 9 months too, crawled at 10 months and started walking at 14.5 months. We just practised every night trying to get him to walk between us until 1 night he just did it and his confidence grew from there. He had just started taking a few steps then my mum went on holiday for 2 weeks and when she came back she couldn't believe the difference in them. She'll get her confidence soon and be off if she's started taking a few steps on her own.

Cx

Thanks. Good to hear from you again! Yes, she is definitely starting to take more steps - especially after dinner/before bed. She walked the length of the hallway and will stand herself up to try again if she trips. I think she's just lacking a lot of confidence. She can get up to 10 steps at a time now. This is just being a very slow process!

Sat up unaided at 5 months bumshiffled from 7 months.
Cruised at 13 months, unaided steps at 18 months x

Had quite a lot of progress today and hopefully this is the beginning of her walking life. She took 20+ steps at a time today. Lots of confident steps taken and she seemed happy to walk between things (my OH and I, from sofa to TV etc), no big distances but she seems keen to do it, we're feeling positive!

Hi rooster, I loved this stage and she seemed to enjoy bringing things to us and moving them back to the other side of the room, perhaps encourage that some more and eventually she'll catch you by surprise and just venture out of the room, that was the day I realised our lil miss was a walker lol

Sat up unaided at 5 months bumshiffled from 7 months.
Cruised at 13 months, unaided steps at 18 months x

My 2nd was very similar, sitting unaided at 5 months old, cruising (walking holding on to furniture) by 10 months, but didn't walk unaided until she was 16 and a half months old!

In contrast my eldest was walking at 12 months but couldn't sit unsupported til almost 9 months old!

They all do stuff in their own time x

Last edited:
Yeah, she's walking now... And not a fan of hand holding! Life is going to be a bit interesting now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back