13mth old - headaches? Rubbing head and cryingoften

kitten2014

Reaction score
Hi guys

Our lil miss has recently had her 8th tooth come through and her teething symptoms have always followed similar pattern. Recently though after her 8th tooth she has been randomly crying then rubbing her head and the cry is a mix of pain/frustration. Granted sometimes its tiredness or hunger and usually food takes her mind off it/makes it better but not always and she could be playing with toys then suddenly cry and rub her head so I keep thinking headache....She has had a few knocks as is the norm with a newly mobile baby (almost walking, cruising and crawling aplenty) and naturally Id expect a few of these to result in headaches but on one day I counted 6 times in an hour she did it. We have used calpol once during the day at a mealtime but usually at bedtime but we try not to use it every night so she doesnt develop immunity to it and have found it doesnt seem to be working that well... she sometimes has restless nights but generally sleeps well and her appetite and general mood have been fine its just these occasional spurts of crying/frustration followed by a head rub...now granted sometimes she also rubs/pulls at her ears so I realise teething is probably a big culprit but it seems to be more than that...any ideas...

hey I don't have any experience sorry but did wonder if it could be a teething thing too, aren't headaches linked to toothache in adults?

I would ask the doctor just in case, there's no such thing as a silly question when you are concerned xx

The thing with teething causing headaches is that the minute movements of the teeth moving around in the jaw causes vibrations through the skull. Because a baby's skull is in pieces, the bones rub together and cause the headaches. I would have thought by 13 months the bones would be mostly fused together, however, it could still be the culprit.

I know my kids do this at times, but only sporadic.

I'm a big believer in mothers intuition.
If you think there might be something up, speak to a HV, or your doc, or even pop in and ask a pharmacist for advice xx

Thanks guys, will keep an eye on it as she's not been as bad today...

I strongly recommend against using Calpol every day unless she's clearly unwell. You can't develop an immunity to it but if it's not making much of a difference it means she doesn't need it and it's putting unnecessary strain on her liver to process it out through her system.

I think contacting your hv and/or GP but I would stop using Calpol if it's not making a difference to the pain.

Edit -- I've reread your post and saw you don't use very day. I would get her checked for an ear infection

Last edited:
Hi guys turns out she has inflammation in her left ear (the side of her head she's ben rubbing) so she's on calprofen. She doesnt have an ear infection but just redness there. Aparently its quite xcommon after a cold (which she had a week ago) for the ears to have sympathy pains. Lets c how the calprofen does...

Glad you got an answer, fx the Calprofen helps!

hi guys so shes had three days on 2 doses per day and still she's rubbing her head n crying a lot. the doc didnt say when to stop 2 x per day but im assumin its bad to keep going...but i dont want to try a day without as she is clearly tellin me she needs it still...then again the dentist (her first appt last wk) confirmed her topfirst molars r just beneath the surface and they could be the culprit too...any ideas?

I would just go back to docs after the weekend to make sure it's not turned into an ear infection x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back