13 month old prefers his dad

Discussion in 'Baby & Toddler' started by MissyAK, Mar 21, 2016.

1. MissyAK

MissyAK Well-Known Member

My 13 month old has started having a preference for his dad over me, and I'm honestly feeling quite rejected and hurt.

He's been like this since end of January, he does have his moments and comes to me for cuddles but if he's upset he looks to his dad for comfort.

Just now, he woke up crying from his sleep, I picked him up and he wouldn't settle until daddy dearest held him. My husband then left the room and my son started crying hysterically, he wouldn't let me console him :-(

My son started nursery in January, hubby drops him off and i do pick up. Would this be what is causing him to prefer his daddy? I don't know :-( I'm just upset right now

2. Cherrybelly

Cherrybelly Well-Known Member

Sorry you're feeling like this :(

We have this with our 21mo but it's the other way round. She prefers me, only wants me for cuddles and goes bananas if oh tries to put her to bed or get her up when I'm here. He's found it really upsetting and I find it awful to listen to.

I think they go through little phases, plus I'm the soft one so she knows I'll always offer her lots of cuddles. She spends the same amount of time with each of us as we split our shifts so one of us is always home and apparently when I'm not here they get on brilliantly.

I don't really know what to suggest. You haven't done anything wrong and he'll probably change his mind at some point. There's pros and cons to both as it's also hard being the one who always has to do get ups and bedtimes. Saying that, I'd be devastated if she was upset when i went in.

Big hugs xxxx

3. Birdie

Birdie Well-Known Member