12mth old breakfast issues

kitten2014

Reaction score
Hi guys, our lil miss has always enjoyed breakfast since she was 5mths old either porridge or weeatabix with toast and fruit but it was always an hour or so after her milk. When she was 10mths old introduced sippy cup for milk instead of bottle and gave her it with her breakfast. She eats really well for other meals but after a mth of breakfast with milk find she doesnt drink more than 4-5oz (she has full 9oz sometimes more at night in a bottle) half a slice of toast and barely two or three teaspoons of cereal...she spits it out, have tried dried, with milk, different types, etc etc but she always ends up leaving it, she also has half a banana (also used to be full bananabut she started leavin some) and so as a result a couple of hrs later she is ready for a filling snack and she will graze til lunchtime...anyone else have this issue...?Should I revert back to milk before breakfast? Tried reverting back to bottle and she doesnt drink any more due to it so its not that...just find it frustrating as she clearly needs mnore at breakfast....I then find by the afternoon she is filling up for the night with afternoon snack, tea and bottle all within 4-5hrs. She sleeps through and this hasnt affected that so dont think she's going hungry just think she is getting fussy and wondering what other foods to try in the morning that are nutritious but filling...?

Thanks for your help

Crumpets, scrambled egg on toast, egg and soldiers. I sometimes give my LO a yoghurt with breakfast if she hasn't eaten much else x

Thanks for that, she likes those things but not all the time, yoghurt would be a good morning one though but she only has yoghurt every other day atm

Fruit loaf toasted is always a winner with my little boy. If i give him cereal he just shouts "toast, toast, toast"

If possible and if you haven't already, I would drop the daytime milks, just keep morning and bedtime bottles.

Also, I think if you found breakfast bottle worked better before breakfast then I'd go back to that. We did with our eldest - 9oz bottle and then full breakfast until he weaned himself off bottles altogether.

Last edited:
hi kumber, she only has morning and night bottles, morning in a sippy cup with breakfast but think if I tried just milk she'd fuss as she has a good gulp then instantly wants her toast (she has half a slice give or take) then has more milk with other bits...Just need to try a variety I think...

thanks everyone, interesting to hear other people's suggestions...

My health visitor told me to stop giving my daughter milk once she got to a year old, she was having it at breakfast, 7pm and 10pm. I immediately just stopped the breakfast bottle then gradually cut out the 10pm one and now she only has 4oz at 7pm. The HV said it just wasn't necessary and would mess around with how much she was eating - I thought she was talking nonsense at the time but it has all worked out. My little girl is obsessed with brown seeded bread so just has two slices of that and butter every day, occasionally has porridge x

Hi Rose, wow, cut it out for breakfast, I guess that would work, she does eat enough through the day and plenty with calcium in it so guess I could...didn't know when to do that exactly so just kinda kept with the milk in the morning...

Obviously it might not work for everyone - I felt like it was really drastic but it happened to fit with what we were doing at the time in terms of when she was getting up and just didn't have any adverse effects. She loves her food and is a bouncy healthy little girl who has always been on the 91st centile although to be honest I could probably do with pushing more calcium her way. In terms of drinks I've only ever given her water and haven't tried milk in a cup, I'm not sure she'd take it cold but I might start occasionally offering one to her with her lunch or something. I've never drunk milk since I was a baby which is maybe why i forget to consider it as a drink option. Like I said I really thought cutting out milk was a mad idea when my HV suggested it and I didn't for a moment think she would cope Without it but she never even seemed to notice! X

Oh I should also maybe have said that my daughter was exclusively express Breast fed (long story about all the trouble I had feeding from breast with her) so I knew her feeds were 5oz, she never took any more, then when I switched to formula at 8 months she would still never take anymore than 5oz in a sitting. It seems that breastfed babies don't drink as much quantity wise and that she just never changed her habits when the actual milk changed. I know my friends whose babies were on formula could never believe what little bottles she was drinking as they were so much less than theirs! X

We're very similar in that my lb only has milk before he goes to bed but he has a 7 or 8oz bottle & just has water during the day. He has brekfast, dinner then lunch but it is important to give them dairy my lb will always have yoghurts & a few pieces of cheese ESP if he isn't having any sort of fluids at all till bedtime (it used to be a night mare to get water down him)

Rose our children sound very similar & my lb was formula fed but he never took more than a 7oz bottle... Now he is on that sometimes 8oz of cows milk but I'm not sure if I should just be giving him toddler formula now

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back