12 Week Scan Showed 7mm NT Measurement - Terrified

Marli

Reaction score
Hi

I am 12+1, I just turned 28 years old and this is my first pregnancy. My partner and I had difficulty conceiving for a couple of years but I fell pregnant naturally in the end. Both of us were a little scared at first, but over the moon!

I went for my 12 week scan yesterday and the baby was very active, kicking their legs and bringing their little hands up to their head...I was so happy to see a nice strong heartbeat. However, the sonographer told me that the baby had a nuchal translucency of 7mm. It all changed so fast from there. I went from being so happy and amazed, to crying, then being comforted by a consultant and midwives within 30 minutes.

They told me that there was no point in combining this result with my blood test from the previous week, as they knew it would be high risk/abnormal. It was suggested that I have the CVS, which is a diagnostic test. I agreed to this, and am booked in for this Tuesday coming. I feel so sick and haven’t stopped crying. They told me there are 3 possible outcomes from this which are:

1. The baby is absolutely fine
2. The baby has a condition such as Downs Syndrome or another chromosomal abnormality
3. The baby has a heart defect

I’d like to hear from those of you who had a very high NT measurement at your 12 week scan, only if you feel comfortable telling me, that is. Whether it was a good or bad outcome, I’d still like to know. Also, how did you find the CVS? Any information is much appreciated.

Thank you

Hi!

First of all congratulations on your much wanted pregnancy. I had similar scares with both my pregnancies, although the measurement was around 3mm, both times my doctor found the measurement to indicate high risk. I had the CVS both times and both times everything came back fine. I have an 8 year old daughter and I'm currently at 24 weeks with my second daughter.

High risk means anything over a 1/300 chance. I had a 1/50 which sounds huge but in the end it's just 2%. I know it's a difficult and stressful situation but stay strong and hopeful, you'll have your results soon and it's more than likely everything is fine. Hoping for the best for you!! Xxx

I forgot to say!! The CVS is stressful but in the end it's a quick procedure and although it is definitely uncomfortable it's not particularly painful.

I forgot to say!! The CVS is stressful but in the end it's a quick procedure and although it is definitely uncomfortable it's not particularly painful.

Hi there

Thank you for replying. I’m glad you received a positive outcome! I feel sick to my stomach and can’t think about anything else. I’ve read a lot of stories where women have been given a high NT measurement (some of them 8mm-10mm) and everything turned out ok. Do you remember how long it took to get the results from your CVS? Thanks again for your reply and congratulations on your pregnancy. Wishing you all the best x

Hi! I received a phone call within 2-3 days both times.

It's perfectly normal that you can't think of anything else. I was the same both times, despite hearing and reading about many happy outcomes with worse probabilities. The good news is that after the CVS you will know very soon. The test itself is 10-20 minutes depending on how easy it is to get a sample.

Stay strong! Lots of hugs xx

Hi! I received a phone call within 2-3 days both times.

It's perfectly normal that you can't think of anything else. I was the same both times, despite hearing and reading about many happy outcomes with worse probabilities. The good news is that after the CVS you will know very soon. The test itself is 10-20 minutes depending on how easy it is to get a sample.

Stay strong! Lots of hugs xx

Hiya and thanks again for getting back to me. Hopefully I should get some results by Friday then. It’s the waiting that’s stressing me out. I just want it over and done with so I can move forward, whether good or bad news. Thanks again for the info and support, I appreciate it x

Just a quick update for anyone in a similar position with a very high NT measurement. The CVS results came back clear - no chromosomal problems!

Oh how wonderful! What a fantastic update :)

So pleased the results came back clear for you. x

That's wonderful. Keep us updated about your 20 week scan.

Thanks everyone. I’ve to have a “reassurance” scan at 16 Weeks (21st June) and then another which will likely be at 20 Weeks to check for heart defects. I’ll update this post after each scan. Hopefully the high NT is just one of those things that can’t be explained. Thanks again ladies x

I just popped in to say that I have a child with DS, and I had a CVS with my second pregnancy because of this. I found it a very unpleasant experience and really quite painful. It's not something g I would ever do again.

If you have any questions about DS or the testing. I'm happy to help. (nothing you can say or ask can offend me because I asked them all myself)

Also. I'm not for one second saying that baby has DS... I just know that I'm a researcher and that's what I'd want to do. Aaron had a post natal diagnosis so we never had any testing with him

Hi Chase

Thanks for your reply. The results came back clear for any chromosomal issues so they are now going to look at the baby’s heart as the high NT measurement is also associated with heart defects. I had a 16 week scan the other day and they said baby appeared to be doing fine. His heart had all four chambers etc and his heartbeat was strong too. I now have an anomaly scan at 20 Weeks and then a more in depth heart scan at 22 Weeks. I agree that the CVS procedure is very unpleasant! It felt horrible, like my insides were being tugged out. Like you, I also like to do my research and find out as much as possible about things. Thank you for your help and I hope your little ones are doing good x

Last edited:
Hope all was well with the next scan :)

Hi

The scan went great, thank you. Baby appeared to be doing fine and the sonographer was happy with his progress. I have an anomaly scan at 20 Weeks and although his heart looked good at the 16 week scan, they are going to do another more detailed heart scan at 22 Weeks, just to be sure. Thanks for your message x

Ah great, best of lick for the rest of your pregnancy. Sorry I missed the update

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back