12 week scan- advice please?

Emily0505

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I have my 12 week scan on 2nd February.

My booking in appointment was a major let down to be honest and I felt quite rushed through with no opportunity to ask questions- I had to tell midwife at least 5 times when my scan was as she kept forgetting!

Is there anything specific I need to have, do or know for my first scan?

I am hoping I'll get some further info sent through before hand but just wanted to check in plenty of time. Mind you booking in wasn't what I expected. The letter said the appointment would be up to 1 1/2 hours long and I was in and out in under 25 minutes!

I have heard you should have a full bladder for the scan, is this true?

XX

I felt the same with my booking in appointment. Midwife just kept going on about how busy they were. Yes you do need a full bladder but no need to go overboard. I wasn't full to bursting and my 12 week scan was great. It's also a good idea not to have anything too sugary as the baby might be really active and it could be hard to take readings. This happened to me and the sonographer blamed me for having sweets!!! The appointment shouldn't take too long it's just the waiting time that can take forever. Good luck and enjoy seeing your wee bundle for the first time, it's amazing x

I don't know what to suggest, but I hope it goes well!! :) X

hope it all goes well,
I got a few guidelines when i got my letter though the post. You will need a full bladder however i only started drinking at the hospital as i couldnt hold much in for too long.
The sonographer i had i wasnt keen on her, she didnt really tell me much but your experience could be different, have decided that if its like it at my next one then i shall ask for a 2nd opinon x

Thanks for all your replies ladies.

This is my first ever pregnancy and I have no clue what to expect and not only that I want (as I am sure everyone does) for it to be special and perfect. With booking in being such a disappointment and being anxious too see baby and know all is well, I would hate for there to be an issue with the scan, especially if it's something I needed to do etc.

I am sure all will be fine and I am worrying unnecessarily :)

XX

I had a scan this week. I had a carton of juice an hour before my appointment and that was ok. It didn't take that long, about 15-20 mins for the scan.
I can't think of anything else that you might need to do, apart from relax as I've heard the LO can respond to your heartbeat.

Good luck, look forward to seeing some pics x

It's prob best to check guidelines about the bladder thing. In my letter from hospital it said not to have a full bladder, although I think this is because my hospital carries out an internal scan as routine as well as the external. The internal is to check the length of your cervix.
Did you get an information booklet with your letter? If so, it should say in there. When they started doing my external scan she made me go to empty my bladder even though I hadn't drunk that much! x

I didn't have a full bladder for my scans. Don't make yourself desperate for the toilet though, but maybe don't empty it just as you go in for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back