10 Days overdue/Sweep...............

scousegit

Reaction score
Im a week overdue and midwife has booked me in on Thursday for a sweep and im simply dreading it! Not so much the sweep but they have told me they will book me in that night or following morning for an induction and I am pooing myself! I had to get induced with my first as there was maconium in my waters and i found the whole drip thing and stuck to a bed horrendous and terribly painful. If I have to get induced again would it be with the gels? If so, what are they like? I just need some advice as am getting myself all worked up! Wish Babe would just pop out naturally but he seems as happy as larry in there! Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks :D

cant you ask your midwife to sweep you before?

you can always refuse an induction.. or ask to wait a little longer..

well i did mention that to her but she said its only done here at term +10.

Suppose i could wait but its a lesser of two evils..do i wait or get it over and done with...Im fed up of being the size of a hippo...! Suppose ive got to just decide which i dread more!

I had my sweep at t+9 and had ryan t+10. my induction was booked for t+12 so I got away with it. I was told when i had my sweep that if I did have to wait until being induced I was already 1-2cm dilated so would only need waters broken and no pessary etc... but I don't know how that works in different hospitals/different situations.

You can refuse an induuction but be very carefull, I know a lady who refused induction and at 42 weeks the baby died inside her because the placenta stopped functioning. She was being monitored daily but by the time they realised there was a problem it was too late. I don't want to scare anyone but it can happen.

Alfie
xx

I hope baby makes an apperance before for you. :hug:

I know im being daft and i guess i just want baby out...just gotta stop wussing it! Dont think i would refuse an induction anyway, I dont like to cause fuss! Been getting quite a bit of lower back ache today so hopefully it could be slowly starting! Thanks Girls! :lol:

I had the drip with my first, and was determined not to have an epidural. As they walked me through to the labour ward they said 'we've got the epidural all ready' and I said NO WAY!!! (Bloody fool!) After two hours on that drip I was begging for the epidural. If I had to have that drip again I would get that epidural in place from the off!

My second labour was straight forward and quick, although they did send me home and told me to take two paracetamol as I was 'not even efaced' and said I wasn't even in the early stages of labour. I got back into the hospital two hours later in mighty pain and Marcus was born 20 minutes later.

I have the same concerns about induction. I wonder if it comes to it this time and I need it how I will cope. If it's by drip I'm going for the epidural, but I'm not sure how the gel or pessary works either.

How do they do a sweep? I could feel my cervix the other day and it felt quite 'pouty' which I was pleased about. Is a sweep just when they poke it about a bit?

I had the epidural after the drip but not till about 6 hours into the labour! It would just be nice to go myself!

As for the sweep, all my midwife said was that it is an internal but ive read bits on it and the doctor/midwife sweeps the membrances between the cervix and the amniotic fluid with 2 fingers (i think) gross or what! Apparently it releases hormones that can kick start labour. Im not really bothered about that as it cant be bad as labour! Apparently it doesnt take long and they monitor the baby for a little while after doing it then send you home to see if you start. Some women say it really hurts, others say smear tests are worse so i guess everyone is different. I'll tell you more after Thursday morning when ive had it done! Thanks for getting back to me! :)

I had a sweep today, it was ok, a tad uncomfy but certainly not painful. Obviously i have no dignity left after him shoving half his hand up my flange but hey ho, any dignity i did have will be leaving me within a few days anyway. If the sweep doesn't work i'll be induced on the 28th but hopefully it'll come before that!!!!

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back