?¿*Positive Induced Labours*¿?

Discussion in 'Labour & Birth' started by EllieH, Jan 17, 2016.

1. EllieH

EllieH Well-Known Member

Hey guys :wave: hoping you can help me out, I KNOW there are horror stories when it come to induced labour (please keep these to yourself) and they have a higher chance of intervention but there has got to be some positive stories out there haha

I'm going to be going in next Monday (25th) if baby hasn't made an appearance before then but if there is anything positive you can say it would truly be helpful, thinking the worse and being nervous about it isn't going to help me :shakehead:

Hope you can help, thank you in advance for your stories

X

2. *glow*

*glow* Well-Known Member

Let me start by saying I felt exactly the same I hadn't prepared for induction and was terrified of the pain. May I add i had two other children without induction both with great labours!! It wasn't what I would have chosen but I was overdue and there were concerns re baby.

My induction was slow to start. Be ready for days and days (3 for me). It goes so slowly. I recommend playing cards and listening to music :)

Once I got to the point where they could break my waters (3/4 cm) it all happened super fast.

Baby was born, over 8lb with gas and air within two hours. It was every bit as incredible as my others.

I had asked every question about an epidural, forceps etc. However the midwife also tried to get me into the pool, which would have been my plan but baby come so fast from that point I had no time.

You can still have what you want with an induction just brief the medical team and in my experience they do what they can. If they say no be persistent to understand reasons amd policies. People on my ward went to midwife led provided there were no medical concerns and still had the births they wanted - they were just "started off".

I was consultant led, and it was good.

Things that helped me - being educated, patience (I won't lie it wore thin st the end!!), distraction tactics, playing cards.

Focusing on fact you are going to meet your baby :)

My OH was able to stay with me the whole time, not sure if that's an option for you?

Finally there were 6 bays on the induction ward and over 3 days I watched everyone else come in and go into labour. No one was screaming or in extraordinary pain. What happened after in terms of when they got into established labour I can't tell you, but I can tell you that it wasn't bad for me and I would 100% do it again despite being terrified.

Good luck and congratulations you will soon meet your baby X

3. mrs_b_x

mrs_b_x Well-Known Member

My induction story didn't end well so il keep that bit to myself.... Buttttt! Despite having 7 bags of that hormone drip and my contractions coming big and thick n fast I didn't have anything other than gas n air til I was 8cm n the midwife kept saying I was coping amazingly well - so induction doesn't necessarily mean the pain will be unbearable.

My issue was not being mobile due to monitoring and it meaning my baby stayed back to back n delayed progress. Lots of hospitals have wireless/mobile monitoring now or you can have a clip put on the babies head so you aren't pinned to the bed like I was. Maybe ask your midwife about those options? Then u can stay up n about and with the wireless monitoring even use the pool if u choose too which will also help with pain relief :)

You'll be fine! Fx it kicks off before then and it's not necessary!

4. purpleslurple

purpleslurple Well-Known Member

A positive induction story here (apart from it being so fast my husband missed it!) - was induced using the Propess pessary at 6pm, started with pains at 11.30pm, waters went at 7.30am and son born in the pool at 8.14am. I was 2 weeks overdue and didn't have any pain relief as the midwife maintained I wasn't in labour - 'it's just the induction starting.....' she kept saying!

If it happens this time I won't let them send my husband home until I'm in labour - it doesn't necessarily take days. We were home 4 hours after having him too as everything was so straightforward. Good luck xx

5. SAHF

SAHF Well-Known Member

I want a water birth if I end up in hospital but I was told that if you are induced, you are not allowed to use a birthing pool?

6. russellmuscle

russellmuscle Well-Known Member

I loved every bit of my labour and it was an induction.

I was 2 weeks over with two failed sweeps and a number of failed evacuation attempts :lol:

I had 2 lots of pessary, 4pm and 8pm. Cramping started about 8.30 then ramped up by 9pm. I had heat packs and then MW suggested a shower and let it run over my bump. Did this and it really kicked off. I went back to my room and was in agony was put on trace, contractions coming on top of each other. I was checked and 1cm at 11.30, got some dehydrocodeine and slept like a log until 2.30am woke up and MW was there saying I was moaning in my sleep. She went to check me and my waters went and was 5cm. Went round to labour ward and had some G&A then was some faffing about and I asked them to check me as I needed to push. I was 10cm, good to go and got him out 9mins after that at 4.26am.

All in from first cramps I was 8hrs and it was my first. I had a few grazes and a 2nd degree tear and epi but I didnt feel it tbh. And healed up really well.

Id do it all again in a heart beat, felt so safe and in control.

xxxx

7. EllieH

EllieH Well-Known Member

Thank you, they're some lovely stories, glad you still got to use the birthing pool. Not sure on my hospitals policy but I'll ask my midwife! Keep them coming guys, love reading nice birth stories :)

8. mrs_b_x

As Ellie said, brill stories russellmuscle and purplespurple! Really hoping I go spontaneously this time but those stories make me feel really good if I don't!

9. purpleslurple

I was told exactly the same and was gutted. However, as everything was so straightforward and I hadn't had any drugs they let me have him in the pool. I was only in there for the last 30 minutes and it was amazing! xx

10. russellmuscle

I heard your not allowed a water birth during induction due to the fact drips and being put on trace now and then.

But next time I might attempt it. Have a feeling my second Ill not need induced. But I would love an induction again.

Im scared Ill give birth in a taxi or something on the way! :lol:

xxxx

11. *glow*

*glow* Well-Known Member

I was offered the pool as they have a wireless waterproof monitor that they could use at my hospital. My baby needed constant monitoring.

I remember being told no pool if on the drip though?

Good luck X

12. SAHF

SAHF Well-Known Member

I have done a bit of digging and it seems that if you just have the pessary, you can use a pool, but if you have a drip you can't!

13. purpleslurple

That makes sense - I didn't need the drip as the pessary worked its magic x

14. russellmuscle

Me either. My waters went on their own too which I think helped dilate.

xxxx

15. Ash2616

Ash2616 New Member

I have had 3 positive inductions! My cervix has never fully been on board for labor without some help in my previous pregnancies. My first - I was 41 weeks, no dilation whatsoever, and 0% effaced. The doc said it was like my cervix didn't even know I was pregnant! We waited until 41 weeks because he felt it would result in a csection due to the circumstances if we induced sooner and I didn't want that. So at 41 we had to do it before things got dangerous for the baby. My labor was 16 hours, no complications and ended with a baby girl born vaginally. My second - Same, except chose to go ahead at 38 weeks since the first went so well.. labor was 10 hours, no complications , vaginal delivery, healthy boy. My third - Same, induced at 38, 9 hour labor, no complications, healthy boy born vaginally.

16. kaz1983

kaz1983 Well-Known Member

I was induced due to passing muconium an i have to say it was absolutely fine i wasnt in any pain apart from back ache (baby was lying back to back) was managd with heat packs for couple hours after being started on syntocin drip then i tried gas an air which i have to say was useless lol my waters went at 930am (started on drip at 7am) wen they wenf it was like instant reluef then some pain kicked tho not too much an im rubbish wi pain haha 1130am i askd them for diamorphine and after that kicked in i was off my face either smiling like a loony at hubby or apologising to him lol i can gonestly say i didny feel pain as such was just a wee bit uncomfortable like pressure

For a first labour it lasted 11hrs from drip going in till our daughter arrived safe and well

Im requesting induction before i get to 38weeks as i have the dreaded itch and i know theres risks ofgoin over 38weeks with that an im not risking it unless i go into labour myself or the hospital has to intervene before then

Gd luck ul be fine xx

17. Phoenix85

Phoenix85 Well-Known Member

I was induced at 37 weeks in both pregnancies.

Baby 1:
    1 pessary at 9am, contractions started around 10am, was 3cm at 2pm and had pethidine, monitoring was with the ctg and very infrequently (not continous). At around 5.30pm I had more pethidine... this was STUPID - I was in transition (this is the point when you think "I can't do this any more!!! AGH!!!" and have a major wobble, it's the point your body starts to switch from contractions to pushing... anyway...) Well the midwives obviously didn't realise my labour was so short as they gave me the 2nd lot of pethidine, but not long after I started ppushing, waters burst at around 6.30pm and baby was born at 6.41pm.
    Baby was fine and had Apgar scores of 9 despite having pethidine barely an hour before the birth (Pethidine can affect the baby so you're really not supposed to have it close to delivering).

Baby 2: One lot of the prostaglandin(sp?) pessary at 3pm, contractions started 10 minutes later. At 7pm I was 3cm and moved to delivery room. Refused continuous monitoring so they used CTG (you have the right to refuse Continuous monitoring!) Had 1 shot of pethidine at around 7.30pm, waters went at around 9-9.30pm I think, baby was born at 10.08pm completely fine.

When I had my first they used the prostaglandin pessary, when I had my second they were trialing "ProPess" which only needs one application per 24hrs, but as I reacted quickly to the other pessary they agreed to use that again.
    I think now they use ProPess as standard and don't have the option of the prostaglandin pessary I had with both mine.

18. flexilexi394

flexilexi394 Well-Known Member

I hope EllieH's induction went/ goes well today! xx

19. mrs_b_x

There's an overdue thread in tri three she's posted on, I think she went into natural labour on Sunday? X

20. flexilexi394

flexilexi394 Well-Known Member

Ahh cool I'll check it out! Xx