£500 from government for pregnant women in the UK?

laetitia85

Reaction score
Hi, I'm still in my first trimester but I have heard that every pregnant woman who earns less than 20K/year is entitled to £500 around 5 or 6 months of pregnancy for basic shopping etc. Is this true? How can I find out more? When exactly can this money be claimed?
Thanks ladies

This is what you need to be claiming to be entilted to it..

Income Support
income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element
extra Working Tax Credit relating to a disability, or
Pension Credit.

if your claiming anyone of these then yes, but you cant claim untill 11 weeks before baby is due, so from 29 weeks!

hmm so i dont get it :(

im gonna go citizens advice and ask them :lol:

Not everyone is entitled to that sure start maternity grant, I know I'm not. Check with your midwife or local jobcentre to see if you might qualify.

I found out yesterday that we qualify for this, :cheer:

we are on child tax credits but at the higher rate due to them recieveing nursery costs, i asked tax credits and if you get more than £500 a year in child tax credits you will be entiltled to it.. so check your claims girls.. you may get it after all,

i didnt think we would get it but we will,

it will come really handy to buy bits and bobs for the baby.. :cheer:

This is one of the things I'm annoyed about - because I work I won't get this and could really be doing with a bit of help!

weenik said:
This is one of the things I'm annoyed about - because I work I won't get this and could really be doing with a bit of help!

i work as well 30 hours a week, but as i have 2 children who need childcare, do you have children weenik who are in childcare, thats the only reason i will qualify for it, otherwise i would be the same as you!

Im not a scrounger unlike some girls who get pregnant just for the money! but i understand your concerns it does annoy me as well,

Does anyone know what "at the higher rate" is?? We get child tax credit for 2 kids, i was working 10 hrs a week but am now on maternity allowence at a low rate and my OH works full time.

sunshinestars said:
we are on child tax credits but at the higher rate due to them recieveing nursery costs, i asked tax credits and if you get more than £500 a year in child tax credits you will be entiltled to it.. so check your claims girls.. you may get it after all,
quote]

if your unsure ring tax credits and ask them huni

sunshinestars said:
I found out yesterday that we qualify for this, :cheer:

i didnt think we would get it but we will,

it will come really handy to buy bits and bobs for the baby.. :cheer:

:cheer: Go you ... well handy

Who do you check with hun ?? who do i have to ring ? and when can i claim it from and how much is it :rotfl:

Whoops didn't read all the way down..... :oops:

Still when can i claim it from and how much is it :dance: :hug:

hi, you can claim it from when your 29 weeks up until 3 months after baby is born, so for all those that this is your first baby and you work, get your child tax credits sorted straight away and you can get it because my sister has just done this! you also get higher rate up until baby is 12 months old. xxxxx

So, even though this is my first, and I don't get any of the benefits listed, if I do afterwards, i can still get it??

Hope so!!

yeh you can still get it up until your baby is 3 months old if you are entitled to the higher child tax credit so if you get them sorted as soon as baby is born you should still have time to apply for the sure start maternity grant. xxxxx

It was £100 years ago, BIG difference and great for the more expensive items. I spent mine before I got it, lol.

I'm gonna check with the job centre or council before the end of the week. help is much needed at this point.... :wink: thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back